Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by newkidontheblock »

US (and others) closing border to arrivals from China.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... d-51338899

News this morning reported that if passengers have been to China in the last 2 weeks and snuck on another flight to the US, the entire flight would be diverted to a quarantine zone.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

HCMC has begun work on a VND255 billion ($11 million) field hospital with facilities in two locations to deal with the new coronavirus infections.

Vietnam very proactive.

China made the mistake of moving too slow to get on top of the virus. Countries like Singapore and Vietnam are moving fast to make sure they can try and keep one step ahead.

Any expat in Asia without health insurance may find their cost cutting stupidity may turn out expensive - if not deadly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:13 pm
Jack.R. wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:55 pm Do you realize that China is fucking up it's economy and sealing off millions for a disease that you think is nothing?

Literally 60 times more deadly (0.1-0.2% vs 2-4%) than the normal flu and twice as much more infective.

The big issue is that 20% required ICU treatment.
Think of 1 in 5 with the common flu needed a respirator to live, it can completely overwhelm a city healthcare system in weeks, like in Whuan.
So you get sent home and without ability of ICU the death rate triples so 6% to 9%.

Now think if it gets endemic, so it goes around every year with small mutations like the common flu.
So that death rate can turn into a yearly event.

That's why China is taking it very seriously.

Hopefully they can contain it well.
I think the big difference between you and me is that IF this new virus is so 'dangerous' as you suggest, I sincerely hope they DO NOT contain it well. Seriously. Because, in my opinion, that's what this earth needs: some disease or whatever that will wipe out at least 25% of the current world population. And if that includes me, fine.

Unfortunately, this new virus is not going to do it. Far from it. Far, far from it. So, in my view, it's indeed nothing.

We are entitled to have different views, right?
I will never take you seriously again. It's a great shame you drove Mishmash away.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

An excellent summary of the Corona virus situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... a-42815787

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I found this picture a bit worrying. Even if the fatality rate is only 1/5th of SARS, this virus floods the health system in no time:

Red: Novel Corona
Grey: SARS
X-axis: days from case 1 reported, 20 day interval.
Y-axis: number of infected people, 2000 people interval

I don't see any topping off in 2 weeks time as China is claiming.

source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... a-42815787
chiaojiang
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chiaojiang »

Jack.R. wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm Image

3 people with coronavirus enjoyed their time in Cambodia and where only confirmed as Coronavirus patients on the way back.
It is almost certain that no place in Cambodia had the required medical ability to detect this virus, and people could just be diagnosed as common flu and set back home.
There're probably couple more infected roaming around the kingdom.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Cambodia was brought up in the House of Commons yesterday while Matt Hancock was giving a statement to the house on the virus situation, he said he was unaware of the guidelines here but look into the situation ... :shock: :shock: :D

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/8 ... n=16:39:16

16:47
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

On the issue of travel insurance ot Expat Insurance l wonder how long before we see new policies exclude countries hit hard by virus.

Buy a policy now if you want cover.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:13 am Cambodia was brought up in the House of Commons yesterday while Matt Hancock was giving a statement to the house on the virus situation, he said he was unaware of the guidelines here but look into the situation ... :shock: :shock: :D

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/8 ... n=16:39:16

16:47
Seems the FCO doesn't read The Phnom Penh Post.

Without naming names, that one comment by you know who could attract a good deal of negative attention from other governments who decide that as Cambodia has done jackshit to protect itself, the China travel bans might as well extend to Cambodia too, given the millions of Chinese hear and the continuing travel between the two countries.

After all, this is a pissy little place with no diplomatic power whatsoever. No loss to the rest of the world if we are in total lockdown.

My South America trip cannot come soon enough...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Among the 100 Germans flown out of Wuhan last weekend two have so far been tested positive for the virus, among the 7 Belgiums one shows symptoms and test results are pending.

But as a whole in Wuhan about 8,000 in 11,000,000 were infected at that time according to the official numbers. Really bad luck, those Germans.

We are told mainly elderly and people with underlying diseases die of the virus, but the two passed away outside of China were 44 and 39 years old. Really bad luck for those two too.

Glad all’s well in the KoW.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic