Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by King Keil »

Yeah with all these chinese going in and out I would really wanna know what the locals think about the government's preparations.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

King Keil wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:58 pm Yeah with all these chinese going in and out I would really wanna know what the locals think about the government's preparations.

It's all under control, nothing to worry about.......

JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Feel like I'm gonna have to cancel my little adventure, I've been paying close attention to the cured vs died stat as opposed to the infected vs died stat, seems the logical one to follow at this stage.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:54 pm Feel like I'm gonna have to cancel my little adventure, I've been paying close attention to the cured vs died stat as opposed to the infected vs died stat, seems the logical one to follow at this stage.
Weren't you planning to visit Vietnam, where the death toll is zero?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

3 hours ago.
From: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ssing-sars
If you’re just checking in with us this Monday, here are the major developments in the ongoing coronavirus story:

- There are now 17,459 confirmed cases, according to Johns Hopkins University. The death toll is 362 people, while 489 have recovered.
- The death toll is now higher than that from the Sars epidemic, which was 349 people.
- More and more countries are temporarily banning people coming from mainland China from entering. Among them is New Zealand, whose prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, this morning cited “the range of unknowns in the way the virus is being transmitted” to justify her country’s decision.
- We’ve registered the first fatality from the disease outside China. A 44-year-old Chinese citizen has died in the Philippines after travelling there from Wuhan, where he was from. The race is now on to identify everyone he came into contact with, including passengers in the aircraft he flew in, and staff in the hotels where he stayed. He was travelling with a 38-year-old woman who was confirmed to have had the virus but was no longer showing symptoms.
- Outside China, Hong Kong and Macau, the highest number of confirmed cases are in Japan (20 people), Thailand (19), Singapore (18), South Korea (15), Australia (12) and the US, which confirmed its 11th case overnight. A woman in Santa Clara, California, had recently travelled to Wuhan and returned with the virus. But her symptoms are said to be minor and she’s being quarantined at home.
- The outbreak has battered Chinese stock markets, which have plunged at least 7% after reopening for the first time since they closed for the lunar new year on 23 January. Trading in several commodities was suspended after losses quickly exceeded their daily limits.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

sigmoid wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:23 pm
JUDGEDREDD wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:54 pm Feel like I'm gonna have to cancel my little adventure, I've been paying close attention to the cured vs died stat as opposed to the infected vs died stat, seems the logical one to follow at this stage.
Weren't you planning to visit Vietnam, where the death toll is zero?
But zero is only a few deaths away from a million
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:47 pm 3 hours ago.
If you’re just checking in with us this Monday, here are the major developments in the ongoing coronavirus story:

- There are now 17,459 confirmed cases, according to Johns Hopkins University. The death toll is 362 people, while 489 have recovered.
- The death toll is now higher than that from the Sars epidemic, which was 349 people.
- More and more countries are temporarily banning people coming from mainland China from entering. Among them is New Zealand, whose prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, this morning cited “the range of unknowns in the way the virus is being transmitted” to justify her country’s decision.
- We’ve registered the first fatality from the disease outside China. A 44-year-old Chinese citizen has died in the Philippines after travelling there from Wuhan, where he was from. The race is now on to identify everyone he came into contact with, including passengers in the aircraft he flew in, and staff in the hotels where he stayed. He was travelling with a 38-year-old woman who was confirmed to have had the virus but was no longer showing symptoms.
- Outside China, Hong Kong and Macau, the highest number of confirmed cases are in Japan (20 people), Thailand (19), Singapore (18), South Korea (15), Australia (12) and the US, which confirmed its 11th case overnight. A woman in Santa Clara, California, had recently travelled to Wuhan and returned with the virus. But her symptoms are said to be minor and she’s being quarantined at home.
- The outbreak has battered Chinese stock markets, which have plunged at least 7% after reopening for the first time since they closed for the lunar new year on 23 January. Trading in several commodities was suspended after losses quickly exceeded their daily limits.
:facepalm:
well this is untrue, never trust the guardian to get it right LOL
" The death toll is now higher than that from the Sars epidemic, which was 349 people."
774 died form SARS
"...which have plunged at least 7% after reopening "
plunged 9% an ended up at closing down nearly 8%
Philippine President Duterte yesterday announced a ban on non-citizens traveling from, or through, China, regardless of nationality, on the same day New Zealand announced similar restrictions.

The decisions, both from countries which rely heavily on tourism from China, come as the number of Coronavirus cases continues to skyrocket. The number of confirmed cases rose by more than 1000 over the weekend alone, mainly in China, despite severe travel restrictions placed on some 50 million people in Hubei province.
....Many of them have taken action to stop the spread of the virus by blocking entry to Chinese nationals or to people who have recently traveled from or through China. In addition to the Philippines and New Zealand, other countries imposing travel restrictions include the United States, Australia, Israel and Singapore, while Japan and South Korea have imposed looser restrictions which apply to people from Hubei only.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/coronav ... ravel-bans

Is He still advising people not to worry and be happy? :beer1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:47 pm 3 hours ago.

:facepalm:
well this is untrue, never trust the guardian to get it right LOL
" The death toll is now higher than that from the Sars epidemic, which was 349 people."
774 died form SARS
"...which have plunged at least 7% after reopening "
plunged 9% an ended up at closing down nearly 8%
Philippine President Duterte yesterday announced a ban on non-citizens traveling from, or through, China, regardless of nationality, on the same day New Zealand announced similar restrictions.

The decisions, both from countries which rely heavily on tourism from China, come as the number of Coronavirus cases continues to skyrocket. The number of confirmed cases rose by more than 1000 over the weekend alone, mainly in China, despite severe travel restrictions placed on some 50 million people in Hubei province.
....Many of them have taken action to stop the spread of the virus by blocking entry to Chinese nationals or to people who have recently traveled from or through China. In addition to the Philippines and New Zealand, other countries imposing travel restrictions include the United States, Australia, Israel and Singapore, while Japan and South Korea have imposed looser restrictions which apply to people from Hubei only.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/coronav ... ravel-bans

Is He still advising people not to worry and be happy? :beer1:
I think it refers to deaths in mainland china alone.in which case it has overtaken sars.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Coronavirus: China accuses US of causing panic and 'spreading fear'

as opposed to a highly infectious and potentially deadly virus
#okchina

monstra mihi bona!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Before I left Thailand last Friday I checked the price of the hotel in Chinatown, Bangkok I normally stay at thinking I'd have a Saturday night/morning there on the way back this weekend, 1,475 didn't book it as too expensive. Out of curiosity just checked it now, " Special Early 2020 deal - 1,075"

What a difference a week makes :D
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic