If You Were A Nail-Biter, When Did You Stop and Why/How?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: If You Were A Nail-Biter, When Did You Stop and Why/How?

Post by canucklhead »

I did as a kid. Its such a filthy habit as you never know whats under your nails. Stopped almost 40 years ago.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am
BklynBoy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 am I bite my nails. Turns out my dad felt bad and explained how this happened. He said we had a baby sitter who used to do it and he regrets not changing the baby sitter.
The babysitter bit your nails or you copied them?

I bit my nails when I was a kid. My mother got some nasty-tasting liquid that is supposed to remind you when you absentmindedly bite them. I don't think that worked well so she bribed me to stop, probably £5 or something.
hahah omg that would be a horror movie... imagine an teenager biting a child's nails..lol...
sorry if i wasn't clear.. My dad said I copied what the baby sitter was doing. From time to time he still would bring up. Not as much as he used too.. but if he catches me doing it he might remind me how that started.
Yes!! my mom and dad also got me that stuff... As with you, it didnt work so well
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I know a person with those disgusting bitten stumpy nails and they look revolting, isn't it a sign of anxiety?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

I did as a kid, but my nails got very thick and strong as a teen (still are) and I stopped as it was quite impossible and also gross.

FYI, I nibbled my infant daughters nails because I cut the tip of my oldest finger the first time I tried to cut them. You have to cut them, their arms wave all crazy and they will scratch themselves, but I was thoroughly traumatized by the clippers so seemed the best way. They just have such incredibly tiny fingers, it’s quite difficult, and a friend who was an experienced mom recommended it. No accidental fingertip lobbing off risk.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 pm I know a person with those disgusting bitten stumpy nails and they look revolting, isn't it a sign of anxiety?
That's actually hit the nail on the head of my question. I never was an anxious child or adult. Had strict but relatively happy-go-lucky parents. The worst ass-whooping I got was for gnawing my nails to the bone :lol:

I shudder at the state my nails used to be in. (Good job I wasn't athletic per a previous post and couldn't fit my feet in to my mouth lol) I had all the quicks pulled out, exposed nail beds and zero skin around my nails. What a horrific thought to look back on. I'm so glad I stopped. I love a good mani/pedi nowadays... :stir:
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Anty wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:43 pm I did as a kid, but my nails got very thick and strong as a teen (still are) and I stopped as it was quite impossible and also gross.

FYI, I nibbled my infant daughters nails because I cut the tip of my oldest finger the first time I tried to cut them. You have to cut them, their arms wave all crazy and they will scratch themselves, but I was thoroughly traumatized by the clippers so seemed the best way. They just have such incredibly tiny fingers, it’s quite difficult, and a friend who was an experienced mom recommended it. No accidental fingertip lobbing off risk.
No shame in nibbling your kid's finger nails. Significantly less dangerous than those scissors. Plus, a bonus nail-nibble!!! I did exactly the same! :beer3:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 pm I know a person with those disgusting bitten stumpy nails and they look revolting, isn't it a sign of anxiety?
It's a sign of that and likely other conditions. It's cool though, you can always get some false ones glued on for $80 at the Vietnamese nail salons.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

>

Here's a good reason to stop. In the news today, complete with stomach churning pics:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dad-nai ... 41244.html

Dad left fighting for life after nail biting leads to deadly infection

A dad was left fighting for his life thanks to a severe infection caused by his life-long nail biting habit.

Steven MacDonald, 48, was rushed to hospital just days after noticing his left index finger had become infected.

The former postman - who has bitten his nails all his life - was initially given magnesium sulphate by a pharmacist in an attempt to cure it.

But his finger continued to swell and started oozing green puss.

Four days later his fiancée, Karen Peat, 47, spotted a rash on her partner, which ran from his finger up his forearm.

Steven was rushed to University Monklands Hospital, North Lanarkshire, where he was found to have an extreme case of paronychia – an infection of the skin around the fingernail.

Doctors were concerned the infection was spreading, so sent him straight to the Glasgow Royal infirmary where he had emergency surgery to save his life........
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I bit my nails as a kid less out of anxiety (which I have always had plenty of 😂) and more just because I dislike how it feels when they grow out. Just a weird quirk but as I got older I realized how easy and wonderful nail clippers where and how they made your nails more even and it was less gross than bitting so I naturally switched over
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I cut my fingers off. I now type with a chopstick attached to my forehead. Ho hum. Swings and roundabouts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic