Crème de la crème on streets of Siem Reap

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Crème de la crème on streets of Siem Reap

Post by Adam Xie »

Khmer times:

Siem Reap, the land of the former Khmer Empire, has turned itself into a hub of culinary business activities with food tours. It is safe to say all kinds of cuisine can be found there, from Khmer traditional to Middle-Eastern. Yet, the city has also been a safe haven for traditional recipes of street food, attracting adventurous foodies from around the world. Taing Rinith samples some street gems that you should not miss while cruising the streets of Siem Reap. Bon Appetit!

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50640610/c ... siem-reap/

any one interested?
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Crème de la crème on streets of Siem Reap

Post by Electric Earth »

I've been in Siem Reap a couple months now. I've found numerous good restaurants. I haven't gone to that many food carts because none have really stood out to me as looking or smelling really good. Does anyone know of any good street food in Siem Reap? I'd love to find some quick and tasty food options.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Crème de la crème on streets of Siem Reap

Post by WildA »

Im a fat street foodie freak and have been spoiled by years of Thailand. I am not an expert on the food here in SR, but what I have seen in carts outside the tourist areas (thats stuffs just noodles and munchies for tourists) doesnt look that good, and some long termers and Khmer folks have told me that some folks get real sick here. I havent quite figured out yet why they need a zillion Ice Cream Roll carts but Im a tyro I reckon.

In other words, Thailand 25 years ago. You picks your stall in amrket or cart, you takes your chances. I see creepy crawlies about, but Im not a creepy crawly guy except for frog and snails and I will only eat that in the West, Japan or in Thailand, selectively. I saw a few nice looking grilled chicken stalls, but wasnt particularly impressed by the hygeine, and my elderly body cant handle the squeeges like I could when I was 30 so I tend to be more selective.

I like Khmer food, its very homey style to me and a nice change to eat and not be forced break out in a sweat. I just dont think it has had the chance to develop the way Thai food has developed with all of its foreign influences. So to me, this place is more about the variety of cheap foreign food you can get in the restaurants as well as Khmer dishes to break it up the monotony, and Bangkok is a hour flight away.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic