Cyclist sets off firestorm with crude comment on a young female reporter's low cut top

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cyclist sets off firestorm with crude comment on a young female reporter's low cut top

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Belgian journalist and former pro cyclist Sven Spoormakers posted this screengrab on Twitter that has caused outrage on social media after making a crude comment.

Spoormakers made reference to the reporter’s low cut top after taking a screenshot of her interviewing one of the riders for television, asking in Dutch: “Is it cool in Argentina?”

And it lead to numerous fans and pundits condemning him for allegedly sexually objectifying the young reporter.

Australian journalist Sophie Smith challenged Spoormakers on his remark, writing: “Seriously? Please tell me this is lost in translation and you did not just publicly objectify a young female reporter.

“Speaking from experience, let me say she does the exact same job as you but has to work and withstand twice as much still because of bulls–t like this.”

Spoormakers then responded: “Objectify, really? Come on. Don’t draw the feminist card on this one. She knows exactly what she’s wearing – or not wearing – and why.

“If I would interview a female athlete with my balls out, you’d be joking about it too. Or calling it a disgrace.”

Smith then incredulously hit back: “So it’s her fault because you can’t stop looking at her boobs? What’s she meant to do, wear a potato sack so you don’t get excited? If I take a picture of you at work, post it and comment on how small your d–k looks in a pair of shorts would you be alright with that?”

British reporter Ned Boulting then weighed in to lend his support, quoting one of Smith’s tweets and writing: “Over and over and over again, my female colleagues have to defend themselves from institutional disrespect. I take your voice, Sophie, and I add mine.”

Spoormakers’ tweets were also latched upon by frustrated fans, with one writing: “Mate, she’s wearing a top. That’s it. What’s the problem? Jesus Christ you’re a dinosaur.”

https://nypost.com/2020/01/31/cyclist-s ... rs-outfit/
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cyclist sets off firestorm with crude comment on a young female reporter's low cut top

Post by Username Taken »

Objectifying? Guilty as charged, your honor!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cyclist sets off firestorm with crude comment on a young female reporter's low cut top

Post by Arget »

Some people have F&^%all to do apart from pick apart comments like this and blow them out to be made by misogynistic,sexist, maybe racist and anti female with a lack of respect for the woman who is underpaid because of gender inequality etc etc.

What a load of crap

/
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

No ones bothered by the fact you can see her nipples?
She isn't dressed like a professional journalist.
Scarier than malaria.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Spoormakers then responded: “Objectify, really? Come on. Don’t draw the feminist card on this one. She knows exactly what she’s wearing – or not wearing – and why.
Is he inferring that she wore that top so as to increase her chances of getting an interview with the event cyclists over other male reporters?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I hate when it's cold out or just finish in the pool
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Nice headlights!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Thats a fine pair of tank starter buttons she has there
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Her breasts, and her looks, probably got her the job. She knows what she is doing so why can’t he make a comment?
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

As it happens iv just suddenly had an interest in the weather in various parts of the world, not sure why..I just find it interesting........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic