Best Bank for a Long Term Visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Best Bank for a Long Term Visa

Post by WildA »

If you are from the States, whats the Cambodian Bank to use? Im leaning to ABA because its Canadian owned, I really dont want to be buying bhat with USD and then converting, but one of my cards (Transferwise) is supposedly unusable in Cambo and I dont like using my US cards overseas.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Best Bank for a Long Term Visa

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ABA hands down the best bank in Cambodia
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Avoid ABA like the plague. My average wait times for ATM and counter service are double what they are in ACLEDA, the staff are useless and nI have had some pretty grubby notes from their ATM's which seem to be powered by slugs on mogadon. ABA has been a victim ofits own success. there is nothing you can dowith the ABA app that you cannot now do with ACLEDA toanchet, although its not so pretty. Also have grave security concerns over ABA app. you have a 6 digit pin but the app only requires the first 4.
If you never go to the counter and onlyuse ATM'sout of hours oryou do not live near an ACLEDA then ABA is probbaly better than the rest. I closed my ABA last week after waiting for a ridiculous 40 minutes to do a wire transfer that usually takes 10 in ACLEDA. Also i am suprised what you say about transferwise. i have just been speaking to them and you can transfer money to and from cambodia., which revolut will not let you do anymore. it is far cheaper to wire money to a Khmer bank and use the local ATM card
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Transferwise is telling me that I can't use their worldcard there because I'm from the US. I don't think that means I can't transfer money, I just can't use their card at an ATM.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

ABA good bank
Cambodia Public Bank good
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

We use ACLEDA. IMO they have more "remote" locations in Cambodia - including the town my wife is from (and we lived for a while). When we first moved there it was actually the only bank in town with an ATM. Not sure if its still the case. We have had very few issues - their ATMS are usually in service (they have improved greatly in that area over the past 4-5 years from my observation).

I would disagree with previous poster that things happen fast at ACLEDA. I've often waited 20-30 minutes just to get to the window at their main Siem Reap branch. In the small towns very little wait.

From others that I know, I'd also say ABA is a solid bank. Can't speak to their ATM network or services offered but never heard of any major issues with the bank.

Good Luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic