The single most inappropriate, unreasonable, and offensive thing you can say to a Khmer person is...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

The single most inappropriate, unreasonable, and offensive thing you can say to a Khmer person is...

Post by talltuktuk »

“wait”
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: The single most inappropriate, unreasonable, and offensive thing you can say to a Khmer person is...

Post by Ghostwriter »

" I love your wife" ?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The single most inappropriate, unreasonable, and offensive thing you can say to a Khmer person is...

Post by sigmoid »

well, I think that applies to all nationalities, if the person speaks English.

Staff working in the service industry are taught (or, should be taught) to always say "Just a moment" and add "I'll be right back" or "I'll be right with you." Then, they should say "Sorry for the delay" or something similar when they are to turn the attention to the waiting person.

Even with friends, you usually at least make it a question: "Can you wait just a second? Thanks."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

"its your round"
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Feelgood »

'You have nothing!'

They hate that. Poverty is regarded like a disease in Cambodia, like Leprosy.

That is why they have to have a new motorbike, a big car, an expensive phone. Nothing else will do. Unless you are so frikin poor there is nothing you can do about it.

Ironic in a country that is poor isn't it?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I can’t repeat it here as it could get a member killed if used in the wrong situation; the 0.01% where it won’t is with Khmers who have known you for years and treat you like family & know you’re just showing that you’ve got a filthy sense of humour & command of the language. Even in that setting, still dangerous.

Why would you want to say something nasty to a local anyway? We’re visitors in this country, have some respect and simply say the usual “fuck off” if you must (tuk-tuks cutting you up or whatever). Beyond that you’re asking for a beating & the police/locals are only going to take one side.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Spigzy wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:24 pm
Why would you want to say something nasty to a local anyway?
It depends upon what some inlaws have tried to pull. Sometimes, I feel I need to shock them into awareness.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

joi moi? I got told never get that mixed up as it could spell disaster
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:24 pm joi moi? I got told never get that mixed up as it could spell disaster
and it means what?
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Cabal Ack Ch’kai
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic