Taken for a ride: how Norton Motorcycles collapsed amid acrimony and scandal

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Taken for a ride: how Norton Motorcycles collapsed amid acrimony and scandal

Post by phuketrichard »

what a story,what a bike it was,
I owned one of these ( 1966 Dominator) brought it in Penang in 85 for $1,200

When the classic British motorcycle marque Norton slumped into administration on Wednesday afternoon, the news was framed in the habitual way of a standard UK engineering corporate failure.

The 122-year-old brand – famed for roles in the Che Guevara memoir The Motorcycle Diaries and the James Bond film Spectre – had fallen victim to an assortment of overwhelming forces ranging from Brexit, a punchy HMRC pursuing the firm for £300,000 in unpaid taxes, and tough international competition that made it impossible for Norton’s traditional bespoke approach to succeed.

However, the story is far more complex than that. It is a pile-up that includes hundreds of hapless pension holders, together with unsuspecting Norton customers, staff and even government ministers, who repeatedly endorsed Norton as millions of pounds in taxpayer support flowed into the firm.
A 1940 Norton 16H military model.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... GKNRLb5O3M
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Taken for a ride: how Norton Motorcycles collapsed amid acrimony and scandal

Post by AndyKK »

I remember my first sighting of these bikes at Cadwell Park. The two-man team of Steve Spray and Trevor Nation, the bikes where a little different now.

The story of JPS Norton rotary race bikes

Three decades ago, bike sport fans witnessed the beginnings of a golden era of British racing – that of the JPS-liveried Norton rotaries – which, for a few brief years, blew all-comers away. We’ve not seen anything quite like it since.
The first sign something big was coming came in late 1988, when Steve Spray blitzed October’s Powerbike International at Brands Hatch on a red, blue and silver prototype.
But it was the following year that things really took off. With new JPS livery (a by-product of the Brands wins) and a full-time, two-man team of Spray and Trevor Nation, the black and gold bikes swept all before them.
In May 1989, Spray won Norton’s first F1 British Championship round at Mallory Park, a feat he repeated at Donnington, Snetterton and Cadwell with Nation never far behind. While the duo were equally dominant in the parallel 750cc Super cup series, Spray winning again, seeming to fend off easily the challenge of Terry Rymer and Carl Fogarty aboard the Yamaha OW-01 and RC30 respectively.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/201 ... on-rotary/

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Taken for a ride: how Norton Motorcycles collapsed amid acrimony and scandal

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Got stuck in the past.

They released a new Commando a few years ago (maybe 2014?).

Modern suspension, brakes, engine etc.

Except they then tried to make it look like an old Norton.

Steaming pile of dogshit has terrible sales.

Plus $35000 when a far superior Japanese/Italian/German bike could be had for a fraction of the price and be better in every regard.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:56 pm Got stuck in the past.

Plus $35000 when a far superior Japanese/Italian/German bike could be had for a fraction of the price and be better in every regard.
Yes, there are plenty of alternatives, and better for what someone may want. It may have been worth buying one if someone was inclined. For the price tag you have quoted is that of the used price, new was £20,000

NORTON DOMIRACER (2014-2014) Review - A sensory overload - better than sex!

New Norton's don’t come along very often, especially ones with featherbed frames and looks like this. That is in enough in itself for the Domiracer to be considered special.
The fact that it's 83% British with much of it (frame, tank, pipes, engine and final assembly) all done on site at Donnington, is another big plus. Then there’s the look (which makes the 961 now seem old hat), the wonderous noise, the quality and the components and the ride itself.
Best of all, though, I reckon, is the price. For £20,000 you are getting something very special indeed. Or should that be were, ‘cos sadly they’re all snapped up already. I don’t blame those buyers one little bit. The Domiracer is a truly great bike – not great because of its abilities, dynamics or performance. Great because of the wonderously rich biking experience it delivers, Compared to this every modern superbike is flat, bland and sterile. The Domiracer, meanwhile, is one of my bikes of the year.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... acer/2014/

Something more different! I like this one -

Image :beer3:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I was in the other camp, Tirumph. had a 67 bonneville, great fun when it worked! in those days there were constant arguments over which was better. Rmemeber we used to compare Triumph to Harley. generl consensus is the harly would vibrate itself to death shortly before the Triumph leaked out all it oil
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Triumph has successful recreated some of their old models and are selling well.
Tiger
Bonneville
Speedtwin

I've owned in the states a 66 bonny,(with the sonny routt kit it so an 800 cc) 67 & 69
71 Daytona and various bsa's, huskies

This is my 1970 T100c
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Triumph has successful recreated some of their old models and are selling well.
Tiger
Bonneville
Speedtwin

This is my 1970 T100c
Yes, Indian are another successful re-launch.

Triumph though, unlike Norton, have been making some truly stunning road/race machines for a few decades now.

I'd love a nicely tuned speed triple.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic