Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by crob »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:05 am Death toll was 170 yesterday. It is 171 today.
yeah, I don't trust any numbers produced by the CCP... common, these are the people who decided to go ahead n try to break the world record for the world largest banquet at ground zero in the early days of the outbreak.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:05 am Death toll was 170 yesterday. It is 171 today.

Also this looks promising; it is beginning to flatten. Fingers crossed.

29th January

30th January

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
***** NOW UPDATED*****

Not so promising now....

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Forgive me if this has been covered already.

But I am curious, has it been reported from China whether this virus is mainly killing the very young, very old and those with compromised immune systems?

If so then it's really not too different from the flu, except for being contagious during the incubation period and whatnot.
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by jaclu »

Brody wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:57 pm Forgive me if this has been covered already.

But I am curious, has it been reported from China whether this virus is mainly killing the very young, very old and those with compromised immune systems?

If so then it's really not too different from the flu, except for being contagious during the incubation period and whatnot.
It is a flu, but since there is no cure yet, if you get it and your immune system isn't in good shape, there is very little hospitals can do for you.

So for most of us it will probably not be that much of a problem, you get a flu for a while then you are good. Pretty much as it was with sars.

Unless of course it mutates into something more deadly, then all bets are off.

Also keep in mind that WHO has given the Chineese a lot of praise, and insisted that they are handling it well.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

Brody wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:57 pm Forgive me if this has been covered already.

It is worse than that, at least for those of us here. It appears to be extremely biased towards killing older men. Approximately 68% of the deaths, better than a 2:1 ratio, are men, most of retirement age. Doctors do not understand why the virus is extremely selective towards males vs. females.

The mortality rate is around 3%, which is way, way higher than the flu (approximately 0.01%).

In any case, as there are many men of retirement age here in Cambodia, keep in mind you are the virus's ideal target and Cambodia is basically a province of China. This one is something to be concerned about...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

In the UK now. On Brexit Day. Is this a bad omen?

Another good reason to stay here (like I needed any)

BBC News - First coronavirus cases confirmed in UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51325192
Deefer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Deefer »

How Coronavirus is Spread:

The below just released article states that the spread of Coronavirus is by droplets (sneezing/coughing) with a limited range of around a meter and it is unlike an airborne virus with a greater range. More details are in the article.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 8b97490279

Deefer
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

monomial wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:49 pm

It is worse than that, at least for those of us here. It appears to be extremely biased towards killing older men. Approximately 68% of the deaths, better than a 2:1 ratio, are men, most of retirement age. Doctors do not understand why the virus is extremely selective towards males vs. females.
Older Chinese men more likely to have compromised respiratory system compared to women, due to smoking and workplace conditions ?
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

offroadscholar wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm
monomial wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:49 pm

Older Chinese men more likely to have compromised respiratory system compared to women, due to smoking and workplace conditions ?
Possibly. The working hypothesis I've seen them attacking though is in relation to better immunity afforded by 2 X chromosomes. No way to say for certain if it could be an inherent environmental factor present only in China, and the only way we will know for sure is to wait for more deaths outside of the country. If we can ever answer that question it means things have become much more grim.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I was going to mention that everyone should stop smoking for a while, fingers on the filter and then straight into the mouth, yum bloody yum
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic