US Overstayer Asks Cambodian Immigration to Send Him Home

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

US Overstayer Asks Cambodian Immigration to Send Him Home

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On January 29, 2020, at 10:30 am, a 36-year-old American man, MARK​ WHITEN COURTNEY​, went to the Investigation and Procedure Office at the Immigration Department in Phnom Penh, asking for their help to send him back to the USA.

The American man arrived in Cambodia as a tourist in 2018, through Phnom Penh International Airport. Now, however, his visa extension has expired, he doesn't have the money to renew it, and he has nowhere to stay so he is sleeping on the streets.
In the end, the man decided to go to the Cambodian immigration authorities to ask them to send him home.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: US Overstayer Asks Cambodian Immigration to Send Him Home

Post by Marty »

That US man did the right thing. When you don't have a visa and money to live, get with Cambodian immigration to send you home.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Heh, send him back...
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

How long voluntary deporters have to wait in jail/detention to go home country because no money ? Seems Cambodia wouldnt board them indefinetly
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Pedroviera wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:16 pm How long voluntary deporters have to wait in jail/detention to go home country because no money ? Seems Cambodia wouldnt board them indefinetly
not sure but I think maybe the red cross eventually deals with it, because no one else is going to pay the airfare
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

Maybe word is out amongst the homeless to turn themselves in before arrested and a specific organization will pay flight tickets . There would be thousand foreigners locked up for life otherwise. Seems more common recently
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Or why not have GoFundMe's setup for these unfortunate travellers?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Marty wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:22 am Or why not have GoFundMe's setup for these unfortunate travellers?
Excuse me? I am a dumb arse tourist who comes to Cambodia, blows my stash on whores, drugs and beer and then i am so unfortunates i need someoen to pay my fare home? Save your charity for the real unfortunates. What is needed is for foreign governmetn to make stranding yourself in a foreign country a crime, pay for you to go home and deduct the cost from your pay through tax. i see no reason why Cambodia or the tax payers at home should help these people. Self inflicted injury
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

What dream fantasy is it you speak of? The guy arrived as a tourist in 2018. What comfy job is waiting on hold for him at home after almost 2 years?

The homeless foreigner living rough Cambodia is gonna come home and go straight onto the government dole. Can’t tax him if he doesn’t have a good job. Probably has various health issues (mental and physical) on arrival that precludes him from getting a decent job right away.

It’s a glass half empty kinda day.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

pczz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:57 am
Marty wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:22 am Or why not have GoFundMe's setup for these unfortunate travellers?
Excuse me? I am a dumb arse tourist who comes to Cambodia, blows my stash on whores, drugs and beer and then i am so unfortunates i need someoen to pay my fare home? Save your charity for the real unfortunates. What is needed is for foreign governmetn to make stranding yourself in a foreign country a crime, pay for you to go home and deduct the cost from your pay through tax. i see no reason why Cambodia or the tax payers at home should help these people. Self inflicted injury
Where does it say that this young man blew his stash on whores and drugs and beer. I'd wager that you never even met him. Well I did in 2019 and he was generous with his stash. He was a top bloke whether sober or drunk. So there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic