A woman claims she and her daughters were moved from business class on Thai Airways because they were "too big"

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A woman claims she and her daughters were moved from business class on Thai Airways because they were "too big"

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not against fat people, and some people are just naturally huge. However when it comes down to it, there's no reason for any normal sized person to be subsidizing the cost of those really obese people who just eat too much and don't exercise. I'm packing and having to stay strictly within my 30 Kg allowance and then someone who weighs 3 times as much as me gets to pay the same amount for a ticket? It sounds like Communism. :evil:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Re: A woman claims she and her daughters were moved from business class on Thai Airways because they were "too big"

Post by violet »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:45 pm I'm not against fat people, and some people are just naturally huge. However when it comes down to it, there's no reason for any normal sized person to be subsidizing the cost of those really obese people who just eat too much and don't exercise. I'm packing and having to stay strictly within my 30 Kg allowance and then someone who weighs 3 times as much as me gets to pay the same amount for a ticket? It sounds like Communism. :evil:
Not disagreeing but something tiny people overlook is those tents for clothes take up more space per item of clothing. One pair of underwear is almost a pair of your cargo pants.
Another perspective from the obese is
I’m packing my 30 kg allowance and someone a third of my size gets to pack three times as many clothes and items for the same price. Sounds like communism.
;)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I realise it must have been uncomfortable for them to squeeze into an economy seat, I struggle because I'm tall and my knees are usually up against the seat in front, first thing I do every time is remove all the magazines etc below the screen which buys me a crucial couple of inches extra

. However I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be carting around that bodyweight in a humid city like Bangkok. A friend of mine who I didn't particularly consider excessively fat lost over 30kg last year on one of these new fangled diets, when I consider I would struggle to lift a suitcase that weight it makes you think. I'm 78kg and find it hard going sometimes in the humidity.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm It does seem odd that the cheaper and smaller seat in economy class would fit when business class and it's higher price wouldn t. Thai airway attendants change their uniforms twice during an international flight, Thailand certainly adheres to looks is more than substance. My money is on they don t want "ugly" people messing up the business class experience.
The cheap seats have ordinary seatbelts you can put an extender into. Also the seat arms lift up, so for the price of a business class they can have 3 economy seats each!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:25 am I realise it must have been uncomfortable for them to squeeze into an economy seat, I struggle because I'm tall and my knees are usually up against the seat in front, first thing I do every time is remove all the magazines etc below the screen which buys me a crucial couple of inches extra

. However I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be carting around that bodyweight in a humid city like Bangkok. A friend of mine who I didn't particularly consider excessively fat lost over 30kg last year on one of these new fangled diets, when I consider I would struggle to lift a suitcase that weight it makes you think. I'm 78kg and find it hard going sometimes in the humidity.
Not sure if u knew 'Big Bill" was a regular on Patpong running restaurants,( the derby king was one) in the 80's before he moved to Phuket where he worked for Hard rock and also ran his own deli food service.
american and he usually topped out around 180 kilos, (5'10") was always sweating like a pig
walking a block in the heat almost killed him, passed away in Pattaya last year.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's a shame. These three women wanted to fly business class which has more room and would be less intrusive on neighbours, but could not because of the Thai Airways business class airbag set up.
This is the only airlines where I've heard about this size limit btw. Does anyone know if there are others ? Or are the Thais the only ones with these special air-bags ? In any case, people should know which airlines are out of bounds BEFORE they go to buy their tickets.

Also think that in economy class, it would be fairer if passengers over a certain size had to buy two seats. I don't mind about the weight, it's sharing the space that is unfair. If the person sitting next to you is too large for a standard seat, then they are going to be in your space. This is ok for short flights, but really hard on a longhaul flight when you are trying to sleep without touching them. It's bad enough already with everyone packed in like sardines.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

violet wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:00 am
Another perspective from the obese is
I’m packing my 30 kg allowance and someone a third of my size gets to pack three times as many clothes and items for the same price. Sounds like communism.
;)
Unless you have gone full Hindenburg mode lately, you aren't an obese woman. Certainly nowhere as large as the three in the OP.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

pczz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm It does seem odd that the cheaper and smaller seat in economy class would fit when business class and it's higher price wouldn t. Thai airway attendants change their uniforms twice during an international flight, Thailand certainly adheres to looks is more than substance. My money is on they don t want "ugly" people messing up the business class experience.
The cheap seats have ordinary seatbelts you can put an extender into. Also the seat arms lift up, so for the price of a business class they can have 3 economy seats each!
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I once dated a fat girl. She didn't like me mocking her for being fat, so I stopped. Then she complained that she was being ignored. I said, listen, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Apparently fat girls can. Boy. They can.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Brody wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:52 pm
Username Taken wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 am Image
Huhana Iripa, 59, right, and daughters Renell Iripa, 28, left, and Tere Iripa, 37, centre, at Bangkok Airport in January 2020. Photo / Supplied

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12303332
That's some fucking hubris right there........ to be that morbidly obese and still pitch a bitch when airline staff question your ability to safely sit in your seat.

The stewardesses are the ones after all that will have to haul their bloated whale carcasses off the plane in the event of an emergency.

I just would have went, "Yeah, you have a point....I guess I'll have to make other arrangements. Thank you."
Another big concern with the land whales is will they fit through the emergency exit, would not want to be behind them in an emergency...............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic