How good is your Khmer language?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.

Grade your Khmer proficiency

Poll ended at Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am

I can say and recognize a dozen most common words, numbers.
36%
I can string very basic sentences together (A1 level).
14%
Can hold a short awkward conversation missing many details (A2).
14%
Unsophisticated people ask me “how many years are you in Cambodia?” (B1).
14%
I am more or less fluent in Khmer, understand much content on TV and radio, can read newspapers. Still have to look up new words every 5 minutes (B2).
21%
I understand everything around me and broadcast on media with a few odd words (C1).
No votes

Total votes: 28
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How good is your Khmer language?

Post by hunter8 »

Bump for the good of mankind.
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

Met my wife here from the countryside almost six years ago. I knew the only way to learn Khmer was to learn it by speaking it everyday. We agreed I would learn Khmer first, then teach her English afterwards. Six years to this date.... Khmer is 50% fluent, and now we are starting the English. Khmer is much simpler and easier than trying to learn Thai. Long and short vowels much easier than a tonal language. A tonal language must be difficult for Thai rap music artists.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Haha they're assuming that if you live in Cambodia,you can at least speak a little.
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm Where's the "I don't speak or understand a word" option?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

phnompenhsteve wrote:Haha they're assuming that if you live in Cambodia,you can at least speak a little.
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm Where's the "I don't speak or understand a word" option?
‘Not understand Khmer’ Ot Jyol Khmer
(At least that’s what I say)

Not grammatically correct, but gets the point across.

On this round going to try using a translator device I picked up during the Amazon 12 days of Christmas.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

5 people voted to have learned Khmer to the Upper Intermediate (B2) level. What was/is your biggest motivation? Do you get real benefits out of it or is it more of a hobby?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I did it as a hobby mostly. I was on an extended vacation of sorts when I first came here. Had plenty of cash in the bank, was still getting residual pay for the first few months, so just part time work of sorts to keep busy and study the language. Plus, I've always liked languages so my goal was to study it for the first six months to keep busy while I figured out what my "plan" was (I grew up in a bilingual household and had studied 5 languages previously, so it wasn't my first go at a language and I tend to pick them up quickly). It definitely helped keep me busy and I enjoyed practicing in local markets or while travelling around the countryside on bike trips.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I'm somewhere between the first two options. Can do numbers and somewhere between 50-100 words, plus some basic phrases. I gave up learning because I thought I was leaving (ahem, two years ago).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

To gauge one’s level of khmer. If you understand everything she says, that’s a solid B2 level.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

most regular posters know roughly my level of khmer
i can read and write fluently,
and have a good actual understanding of the language,
vocabulary i wouldnt say im fluent, i find the more you learn the more you find you still have to learn, as you put yourself in more and more advanced situations
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic