Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Mishmash »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:08 am The schools question is big in my mind- new school ‘term’ at west line supposedly starts today. No news from anyone- those we know believe it’s going ahead. But I’m due to return to europe for work tomorrow. If it isn’t sorted before I go back, it’ll all go for a ball of chalk, no doubt.
It's up in the air Freight. (snigger)

The big schools said 'today' but I'm not convinced.

Seems odd only one case here.

Either way even my illiterate Mother-in-Law and my small niece get the point - they are going back to Peam Ro today.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My friend who is at Phnom Penh Airport right now told me that everyone is wearing masks, including airline check-in staff. Weird atmosphere he said.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 am My friend who is at Phnom Penh Airport right now told me that everyone is wearing masks, including airline check-in staff. Weird atmosphere he said.
Last Friday I flew from BKK to PNH and all the staff (Cambodia Airways) wore masks at that time already.

In Bangkok about 80% of all people wore masks.

Here in the boonies the news is spreading too. Kids in the schools are now allowed to wear masks and they have to clean their hands twice during a shift.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Now on ABC radio: a worried parent, let his kid drink some soap for sanitary / safety reasons....

No joke.

In case you did too: let the kid drink loads of water and throw up (source: ABC radio).
If Corona ever hits the KoW it will be hit hard I'm afraid.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

By the rule of numbers and common sense, there must be more than a single case here. The country would look like they were doing nothing at all if they didn't admit to at least 1 confirmed case. We saw the chaos the virus has caused in a first world country's hospitals, China. Imagine the chaos here in the local hospitals if they had a mass panic. This whole country would shut down.

The school I work at was going to reconvene this Saturday since the students had a week off after exams. However, it has now been changed to Monday.
Still here, in country...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 pm By the rule of numbers and common sense, there must be more than a single case here. The country would look like they were doing nothing at all if they didn't admit to at least 1 confirmed case. We saw the chaos the virus has caused in a first world country's hospitals, China. Imagine the chaos here in the local hospitals if they had a mass panic. This whole country would shut down.

The school I work at was going to reconvene this Saturday since the students had a week off after exams. However, it has now been changed to Monday.
Yeah, I find this hard to believe too. All the chinese that got through to Chinaville and Siem Reap before they realised what's what..
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

British Airways has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51292590

Apparently, there's no end to the ridiculous hysteria....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

frizzie77 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:28 pm British Airways has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China

Maybe there were economic reasons too. I can imagine the planes flying to China being far from full.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:30 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:28 pm British Airways has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China

Maybe there were economic reasons too. I can imagine the planes flying to China being far from full.
Ah yes, thanks, hadn't thought about that.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Thai authorities at Suvarnabunmi Airport have played down photos circulating of a passed out Chinese man being attended to by medics on the floor at the airport. Apparently he was pissed, fell asleep and then rolled off his chair onto the floor. :plus1:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic