Cintri Garbage Company to be Nationalized Says PM

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cintri Garbage Company to be Nationalized Says PM

Post by frizzie77 »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:43 pm In my area is clean. Everyone keeps their rubbish until Cintri boys arrive and toot their horn. A certain sense of Civic Pride prevails. Even the construction piles of sand and gravel are neat and tidy.
Take note everyone, there's this expat guy that's living in the only place in all of Phnom Penh, what am I saying ... all of Cambodia, where Khmers are keeping their environment ... wait for it ... clean!!! Not just that, they "keep their rubbish until Cintri boys arrive"!!! Yes, very true, really, not seen anywhere else in Cambodia.

I'm quite sure it is thanks to this very special expat guy called @Mishmash that this has been achieved (oh, and of course the very special military forces he can command at any time to remedy a situation the great Mishmash doesn't like). How else can this be explained, I ask you?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

frizzie77 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:30 am
Mishmash wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:43 pm In my area is clean. Everyone keeps their rubbish until Cintri boys arrive and toot their horn. A certain sense of Civic Pride prevails. Even the construction piles of sand and gravel are neat and tidy.
Take note everyone, there's this expat guy that's living in the only place in all of Phnom Penh, what am I saying ... all of Cambodia, where Khmers are keeping their environment ... wait for it ... clean!!! Not just that, they "keep their rubbish until Cintri boys arrive"!!! Yes, very true, really, not seen anywhere else in Cambodia.

I'm quite sure it is thanks to this very special expat guy called @Mishmash that this has been achieved (oh, and of course the very special military forces he can command at any time to remedy a situation the great Mishmash doesn't like). How else can this be explained, I ask you?
Perhaps Mish is lucky. Perhaps he and his neighbours are (indeed) civic minded and proud of their community? Perhaps the threat of military action actually makes people do their jobs. (That was laced with a hint of sarcasm.) Perhaps we might accept that he lives a lucky life in his small/medium/large community. Alternatively, we could pour scorn on the notion that the community is indeed clean and tidy. Perhaps we could scorn my partner's sister and (barang) husband who also live in a clean community in PP. Perhaps we could also pour scorn on my partner's mother (and family) who live in Takeo and live in a very clean community. The worst 'rubbish' are the feathers fluttering around the garden from last night's dinner...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

We have already won the clean city award for 2021 so
we must be trying too hard
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Yerg wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:13 am
frizzie77 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:30 am

Perhaps Mish is lucky. Perhaps he and his neighbours are (indeed) civic minded and proud of their community? Perhaps the threat of military action actually makes people do their jobs. (That was laced with a hint of sarcasm.) Perhaps we might accept that he lives a lucky life in his small/medium/large community. Alternatively, we could pour scorn on the notion that the community is indeed clean and tidy. Perhaps we could scorn my partner's sister and (barang) husband who also live in a clean community in PP. Perhaps we could also pour scorn on my partner's mother (and family) who live in Takeo and live in a very clean community. The worst 'rubbish' are the feathers fluttering around the garden from last night's dinner...
There are many clean places around - especially the new boreys and gated communities by Peng Houth,

I'm happy your family members have a clean place too.

Here everyone does not throw the rubbish on the street, but keeps on the property until Cintri announce their arrival, when people bring out their bagged up stuff.

Also, they take pains to clean and brush the street in front of their houses for the odd bits of inevitable litter that blow from elsewhere.

Just like anywhere in the world there are nice areas and not so good areas.

A few blocks away the situation can be quite different.

Near one factory is a good example, the workers have their low cost housing and there is a pile of all kinds of shite just discarded, everywhere - stinks and an eyesore.

So good luck and ignore the haters..

I wish you a happy life.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

The good and the bad..

My Street.

Next Street

The big wig Police Chiefs House

A few blocks away

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Some green would have been nice....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

26 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Waste collection fees to be paid via electronic payment systems

The City Hall today announced that people can now have their waste collection fees paid via multiple electronic payment systems from February 1.

Speaking at a press conference on Saturday, deputy chief of city hall Keut Che said people can pay for their rubbish collection fees in January through the applications such as ACLEDA Bank, Wing, E-Money, Lyhour, Pipay, and True-Money.

He said using the electronic payment system will cost users between 500 riel to 800 riel in one transaction depending on the amount of the payment.“But people can also pay on a yearly basis, with a lucrative one-time fee,” Mr Che said.

“Using these kind of electronic payment systems can save our time and it’s more convenient.”Mr Che noted that people can pay January’s waste collection fees with the same amount of bill recorded in last October’s fees.“This is a must for all households to pay waste collection fees because they produce rubbish everyday.
Cintri has struggled to properly manage waste disposal in the capital for several years as its population grows. KT/Chor Sokunthea

They must pay it between 1-15 January [sic] or they will be fined,” he added.Last October, Prime Minister HE announced the government will acquire and manage Cintri (Cambodia), the private company contracted to collect and dispose of waste in the capital, He noted that the capital has mounting piles of trash, traffic jams and a lack of parking, ordering the Ministry of Economy and Finance and Phnom Penh City Hall to work with Cintri on the acquisitionMr HE also instructed the government must purchase and manage the company to provide a better and more efficient service.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50686342/w ... nt-systems
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Upset staffers protest lay-offs at capital’s waste collection firm
Long Kimmarita | Publication date 30 January 2020 | 22:39 ICT

Some 80 employees at Phnom Penh’s former waste collection company Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd on Thursday filed a petition protesting working conditions and seeking Prime Minister HE’s intervention after the firm laid off more than 100 administrative staffers without proper compensation.

Cintri had been the capital’s sole waste collection company until last October when HE ended its contract and removed collection fees from the electricity bill.

The firm would be temporarily allowed to deal with the capital’s rubbish but would no longer be able to collect fees.

According to a directive signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng last month, rubbish collection fees would be settled online, at Acleda Bank Plc or through e-payment service providers. The aim, the directive said, is to modernise public services and ensure every Phnom Penh resident pays their bill.

The employees have held a series of protests since early this month.

Nhor Buntha, a protester who gathered in front of the firm in Chamkarmon district’s Tonle Bassac commune since Monday, told The Post that they would protest until a solution was reached.

He said the protesters had sought intervention from relevant institutions before submitting their petition to HE. But they were still not provided a solution acceptable to all parties.

“We requested two points – first, we want 100 per cent of our salary, dismissal and seniority indemnity payments and other benefits according to the Labour Law.

“Second, we ask to work at the company run by the Phnom Penh Municipal Hall instead of the current workplace,” he said.

On October 22, last year, the prime minister ended the company’s contract and handed over its waste collection rights to the municipal hall, which will oversee rubbish collection until there is a bidding process to acquire such rights.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ction-firm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:22 pm 26 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Waste collection fees to be paid via electronic payment systems
The City Hall today announced that people can now have their waste collection fees paid via multiple electronic payment systems from February 1.

He said using the electronic payment system will cost users between 500 riel to 800 riel in one transaction depending on the amount of the payment.“But people can also pay on a yearly basis, with a lucrative one-time fee,” Mr Che said.

“Using these kind of electronic payment systems can save our time and it’s more convenient.”Mr Che noted that people can pay January’s waste collection fees with the same amount of bill recorded in last October’s fees.“This is a must for all households to pay waste collection fees because they produce rubbish everyday.

They must pay it between 1-15 January [sic] or they will be fined,” he added.
JFC, find all the idiocy in this whole new "state-of-the-art" electronic system.
The utterly clueless guys that run this country are not even ashamed anymore of their complete incompetence.
If it wasn't so sad, it would be laughable.

Who in his right mind would put a 500 riel 'transaction cost' on a 3200 riel fee (which is what most households paid when it was included on the electricity bill), that's 15% !!!

And in the meantime the waste collection is worse than it used to be. Not surprising, to be honest, but a fact. So I predict lots of Cambodians refusing to pay.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 pm On October 22, last year, the prime minister ended the company’s contract and handed over its waste collection rights to the municipal hall, which will oversee rubbish collection
A sure recipe for disaster, and it's visible on the streets of Phnom Penh already.

Is there any country in the world with more incompetent idiots at its helm than Cambodia? I doubt it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic