Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm I'm wondering if we are panicking too soon. We know the world is over populated and I believe the population of Wuhan is 11 million so should we only start to panic
when 10 % of a city dies . That's 1 million for Wuhan.

I kid you not, when I say I have a runny nose and a cough right now.
Spoiler:
Good-bye cruel world .
50 years ago when Mao was the leader, 1 million people could starve to death in Wuhan and the western world be untouched and uninformed. A more openChina, and international travel have changed that. The victims of the virus detected in 15 countries all have a Wuhan connection. In just a month what reportedly started at a wet market has spread to 4 continents. If during the 2-week incubation period itis contagious when a carrier has no symptoms how many airplane passengers, taxi drivers, hotel front desk people have been unwittingly infected and then just as unknowingly infected others? I remember when AIDS was a disease that only gays and Haitians suffered from. 770,000 died from AIDS last year and South Africa has over 7 million people that suffer from it, the vast majority are neither gay nor Haitian. Yes, the world is overpopulated and I agree we are due another pandemic similar to the Spanish Flu, The economic consequences to a global economy will be horrendous. The toothpaste is out of the proverbial tube, it is very difficult to put it back in.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:54 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:49 pm
DaveG wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am
Mishmash wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 pm I'm keeping the kids away from school.

I dun trust governments.

Politician=Liar

The big shot from the WHO can fuck off too. He is disgusting.
Talk them down the pub. Classic British parenting..

Those were the days...The Bar, The lounge and the Childrens room..Where would we sit with a Vimto and watch the parents get pissed, all in a very smoke filled room.....Bliss :beer3:
Vimto? Are you from north of Watford gap?
Yes......didn't mix with the southern shandy drinks..... :D :D

Loved this Pop also, don't think it would go down too well today though.... :shock: :shock:

Corona cream soda was a favourite with Golden Wonder salt and vinegar crisps.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:14 pm
Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm I'm wondering if we are panicking too soon. We know the world is over populated and I believe the population of Wuhan is 11 million so should we only start to panic
when 10 % of a city dies . That's 1 million for Wuhan.

I kid you not, when I say I have a runny nose and a cough right now.
Spoiler:
Good-bye cruel world .
50 years ago when Mao was the leader, 1 million people could starve to death in Wuhan and the western world be untouched and uninformed. A more openChina, and international travel have changed that. The victims of the virus detected in 15 countries all have a Wuhan connection. In just a month what reportedly started at a wet market has spread to 4 continents. If during the 2-week incubation period itis contagious when a carrier has no symptoms how many airplane passengers, taxi drivers, hotel front desk people have been unwittingly infected and then just as unknowingly infected others? I remember when AIDS was a disease that only gays and Haitians suffered from. 770,000 died from AIDS last year and South Africa has over 7 million people that suffer from it, the vast majority are neither gay nor Haitian. Yes, the world is overpopulated and I agree we are due another pandemic similar to the Spanish Flu, The economic consequences to a global economy will be horrendous. The toothpaste is out of the proverbial tube, it is very difficult to put it back in.
It might be time to draw some cash out of the bank... and go to 130 while we still can...

And stock up on canned goods, a sack of rice and a few slabs of beer.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am

Talk them down the pub. Classic British parenting..

Those were the days...The Bar, The lounge and the Childrens room..Where would we sit with a Vimto and watch the parents get pissed, all in a very smoke filled room.....Bliss :beer3:

Loved this Pop also, don't think it would go down too well today though.... :shock: :shock:

My Ma sold these from our shop. It was always a good day when the 'POP MAN' called.

Cream Soda was ace. Dandelion & Burdock too.

And the crisps had a blue shaker packet inside containing salt.

Don't forget the 'Moon Dust' and 'Sherbet Fountains'

Last edited by Mishmash on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:28 pm And stock up on canned goods, a sack of rice and a few slabs of beer.
On the one hand oil price has already started falling in anticipation of lower discretionary spending due to traveling bans. On the other hand, prices first and production of essentials afterwards have to go up to meet demand as people stock up if this situation aggravates further.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Oh...bollox...

Mishmash... How long should I quarantine my lettuce for?

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:43 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 pm

My Ma sold these from our shop. It was always a good day when the 'POP MAN' called.

Cream Soda was ace. Dandelion & Burdock too.

And the crisps had a blue shaker packet inside containing salt.

Don't forget the 'Moon Dust' and 'Sherbet Fountains'

and don't forget the gob full of fillings that I am still replacing and repairing to this day...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Wuhan coronavirus spreads to Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Germany
Patient in Cambodian city of Sihanoukville is a tourist from China
Nikkei staff writers
January 28, 2020 13:26 JST
© Reuters
TOKYO -- The new coronavirus thought to have originated in Wuhan, China, was confirmed to have spread to Sri Lanka on Monday when the island nation's health authority declared its first case.

"The health ministry is taking swift action to bring the situation under control," Sri Lanka's Health Promotion Bureau announced in a Facebook post.

"Contact tracing has been initiated to detect possible cross infections and prevent further spread," the post said.

Media reports say the patient is a Chinese woman in her 40s. She arrived in Sri Lanka on Jan. 19.

Germany also confirmed its first case of the coronavirus late Monday local time in the southern state of Bavaria.

According to the statement posted on the Bavaria health department website, the male patient is isolated and in "good condition."

The department "currently considers the risk for the Bavarian population to be infected with the new type of coronavirus to be low," the statement said.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... nd-Germany
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic