Phnom Penh or Siem Reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chariska
Tourist

Phnom Penh or Siem Reap

Post by Chariska »

Hi All!

Which area will be the best according to you: Phnom Penh (BKK1/2/3) OR Siem Reap?
Work & Living experience....

Thanks a lot
Chariska
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: Phnom Penh or Siem Reap

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I hear for teaching, PP is your best bet.
More schools, more demand etc.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Siem reap...

Way less traffic and they got trees .
Plus you can rent a house with a garden for the same price you get a one bedroom apartment in PP.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Just my two-penneth but Siem Reap feels safer and more relaxed, others would say boring,

You have probably started a good ol discussion between the PP and SR fanboys/girls/ladies........, :D
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

When I first moved here, the word on the street was that it was more difficult to get a job (especially teaching) in SR due to overpopulation of expats and lack of schools. Basic supply and demand issues. However, the reason for the number of expats there is due to the fact it's a more pleasant place to live.

PP on the other hand, while being less attractive to foreigners, was much better for finding employment (as a teacher) due to the exact opposite issues SR encountered - A smaller population of expats and many, many more schools.

How true that still is (or ever was), I don't know.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I personally wouldn't choose either. Best come here and look for yourself and see what suits you. Of course work can often mean having to take bad choices just like in your home country.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Ive been splitting my time between Bangkok and the USA, but Bangkok isnt fun when the air is like schmog soup so what sense does it make for me to spend $1000 for a Condo AND let them hold $30,000 in their bank for the priviledge of breathing smog for a year, hey dude and show up every 90 days, OK. So last week I put on a mask, went to the airport, flew to Siem and rented a place. But, I dont need to work for a living so YMMV. Siem will suit me fine. Now I am doing a condo swap here to get a cheaper more weekendish one and as soon as that is done, Im back on a plane to Siem. Good luck in your search. BY the way, I would persoannly would not live in PP, yuck. But thats me. If I had only those two choices, I would suck up the PITA Thai Immigration and just stay in BKK and go to the Maldives or something when the air gets bad.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

I haven't lived in Phnom Penh yet, but currently live in Siem Reap. Being a tourist town, even though it's not a huge population, there are a ton of bars and restaurants. It's also pretty clean and friendly(compared to Phnom Penh). You'll still get plenty of garbage, but it's not like the streets are lined in garbage like the area of Phnom Penh I've been to, and it doesn't smell like garbage everywhere you go. But, if you like a big city feel, you won't get that in SR. It's more of a big town feel, but with lots of bars and restaurants.

What are you looking to do for work? Someone mentioned teaching. Being a young white female, if you have a decent teaching certificate(CELTA or equivalent) or teaching degree, you'll Likely have a job within a week making $750+ per month. If you have a degree(any degree) And a good ESL certificate you can teach at somewhere like ACE or higher end schools and make $1,200+/month. A young white girl I know was getting job offers same day just because she's in her 20s and from the US. They want young white female teachers. If you're a guy or older it takes a little more time.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic