Christian seeking $3500 on GoFundMe to take sewing patterns to Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Christian seeking $3500 on GoFundMe to take sewing patterns to Cambodia.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Elizabeth Balch is organizing this fundraiser.
Created 26 Jan 2020

I have been in contact with Lynn Johnston, founder of the NGO, Wellspring Initiative Cambodia. She and seven staff members are helping her build relationships in slums, educating children twice a week, and teaching women how to sew. ..

Here is where I come in. I will be bringing new patterns and ideas to their clothing line (I sew too!) I will be photographing products for their new online store (so cool!). I will be learning closely about what they are doing to end the cycles of human trafficking as well as praying...

Would you be willing to support me for the month of February toward the cost of my trip. I need to book my ticket this week and will be there Feb 6th- and return March 1st.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sn93w-cambodia-2020
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Christian seeking $3500 on GoFundMe to take sewing patterns to Cambodia.

Post by Kammekor »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 am I will be learning closely about what they are doing to end the cycles of human trafficking as well as praying...
I'll donate 1,000 if he ends the praying....
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

If GOD really wanted her to do this mission, I'm sure that HE would provide the necessary funds. HE works in mysterious ways.
Pray harder, Elizabeth!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 am HE works in mysterious ways.
He's a lazy fucker as well having moved her spirit only yesterday with $3500 now to be raised in a week.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Where are the slums? I've seen some less than basic homes but not really slums
And if there are slums what happened to all the money donated to NGO's for ten's of years to rid them
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Why doesn't her own church fund her mission of mercy? Maybe they know she's a freeloader.

Prayer... the most overrated activity known to man...
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I will be photographing products for their new online store (so cool!)

The top photo on the NGO website is of its owner laying on a sunbed (so cool!)

Donations are to be made to an Australian bank account. What are the odds that they are registered in Cambodia?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 am Where are the slums? I've seen some less than basic homes but not really slums
Are you kidding? There are thousands of them around the city, down laneways, along the railway and on roofs etc. There's a slum behind Sovanna Mall where 900 kids live. There's a good one through an arch opposite Aeon.
And if there are slums what happened to all the money donated to NGO's for ten's of years to rid them
There were a hell of a lot more of them 15 years ago, The whole area around the Australian Embassy/ Tonle Bassac was covered in them. They were evicted and moved to the outskirts in the mid 2000s. Organizations like CCF and PSE have built thousands of units of social housing.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

the fashion brand is called 'morijana'?
perhaps that could explain the languid campaign timing

monstra mihi bona!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:21 am
atst wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 am Where are the slums? I've seen some less than basic homes but not really slums
Are you kidding? There are thousands of them around the city, down laneways, along the railway and on roofs etc. There's a slum behind Sovanna Mall where 900 kids live. There's a good one through an arch opposite Aeon.
There were a hell of a lot more of them 15 years ago, The whole area around the Australian Embassy/ Tonle Bassac was covered in them. They were evicted and moved to the outskirts in the mid 2000s. Organizations like CCF and PSE have built thousands of units of social housing.
Exactly - loads of slums. But the Government Strategy is to eliminate them by 2030.

Funnily enough, the Government built a Borey for some indigenous ethnic tribes up in Rattanikiri and the folks didn't want them and refused to move from their shacks.

Either way - here is one of the slums where the Wellness Centre operates.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic