Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
ElitheBikeGuy
Tourist
Vietnam

Re: Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Post by ElitheBikeGuy »

paparazzi wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:02 pm Cambodia are just forming a group to review Immigration laws at this stage l read this week.

The concern is exactly what impact the changes to the Vietnamese Tourist Visas on July 1st will be.
Whoa. Is there an article about this? I’d like to know more about it.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

Pretty sure this is mostly about the Viets and small ethnic minorities in Cambodia.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

ElitheBikeGuy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:58 pm
paparazzi wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:02 pm Cambodia are just forming a group to review Immigration laws at this stage l read this week.

The concern is exactly what impact the changes to the Vietnamese Tourist Visas on July 1st will be.
Whoa. Is there an article about this? I’d like to know more about it.
The article has a lot of words, signifying very little for now in Cambodia. The study of a new immigration law, IMHO, will largely be aimed at all the undocumented Vietnamese (thousands) and (likely) Chinese scofflaws (also thousands). But you never know.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... mmigration
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

New YouTube video from Eli The Bike Guy just upoaded.

Again a must view if you live in Vietnam or are planning to move.

Seems at the heart of the change to 30 day visa and must go out again is people misusing tourist visas and working. They are classed as criminals.

People coming in and out each month over a long period can expect to be questioned about their activities in Vietnam by Immigration. This is exactly what Thailand has been doing lately also.
AaronF
Tourist
United States of America

Post by AaronF »

This might be a little off topic but any advice is much appreciated. My wife and I have been making plans to move to Da Nang. Currently working on completing last year of online degree while staying in Vietnam on a 1 year tourist visa doing border runs every 3 months. So that looks like it has all changed as we were planning on arrive October 2020. After completing degree I was then planning on getting a teaching job (legally) with a work permit and spouse would have just stayed on the tourist visa. Maybe now we go to Cambodia for a year to finish up degree. One of use is over 55, one is under. We lived in Sihanoukville in 2014 but I think it would be unrecognizable to us now. So if after graduating and find a legal job say in Da Nang with a legal work permit, under the new laws does anyone know how that would effect a spouse who would not be working? Would the spouse be granted visa exemption or would they have to leave every 30 days?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

AaronF wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:02 am This might be a little off topic but any advice is much appreciated. My wife and I have been making plans to move to Da Nang. Currently working on completing last year of online degree while staying in Vietnam on a 1 year tourist visa doing border runs every 3 months. So that looks like it has all changed as we were planning on arrive October 2020. After completing degree I was then planning on getting a teaching job (legally) with a work permit and spouse would have just stayed on the tourist visa. Maybe now we go to Cambodia for a year to finish up degree. One of use is over 55, one is under. We lived in Sihanoukville in 2014 but I think it would be unrecognizable to us now. So if after graduating and find a legal job say in Da Nang with a legal work permit, under the new laws does anyone know how that would effect a spouse who would not be working? Would the spouse be granted visa exemption or would they have to leave every 30 days?
Well, I don't think anyone is quite sure about what will happen in July this year, much less October 2021 when you will be looking for work. If you are currently in VN (it's not clear if you are or if you plan to arrive in October 2020), you can check with a visa agent such as https://www.saigonvisaservices.com/ or the agent who helped you get your tourist visa if you have one.

Another source of information would be prospective employers, but I think only the biggest chains, such as VUS, ILA, etc., and places like RMIT are dealing with work permits. You can see many ads for teaching jobs and get the contact info for various schools and centers here: https://vietnamteachingjobs.com/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by rasputin »

I have a one year tourist visa issued under the old rules, in January 2020. When the new rule goes into effect, will I get to stay three months between runs or only one month? Have not seen this question addressed in any of the the many threads I've visited that discuss the new VN rules. I won't ask that replies be limited to facts, because such a request would be ineffectual. Bring on the speculation, opinion, and commentary on ancillary issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Eli the bike guy new You Tube video looks at a visa extention rather than going out each month. Check it out.

Looks like maybe an extention every month is possible up to 3 months. Can be denied at any stage.

Tie up your passport for 5 days every month but may be better option than going for border run.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

AaronF wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:02 am This might be a little off topic but any advice is much appreciated. My wife and I have been making plans to move to Da Nang. Currently working on completing last year of online degree while staying in Vietnam on a 1 year tourist visa doing border runs every 3 months. So that looks like it has all changed as we were planning on arrive October 2020. After completing degree I was then planning on getting a teaching job (legally) with a work permit and spouse would have just stayed on the tourist visa. Maybe now we go to Cambodia for a year to finish up degree. One of use is over 55, one is under. We lived in Sihanoukville in 2014 but I think it would be unrecognizable to us now. So if after graduating and find a legal job say in Da Nang with a legal work permit, under the new laws does anyone know how that would effect a spouse who would not be working? Would the spouse be granted visa exemption or would they have to leave every 30 days?
I don’t wish to rain on your parade and you might have an awesome cv but the majority of jobs that will be offering work permit etc in Vietnam will state an age limit and it’s usually under 50. Vietnam is a great place to live in many ways but I would widen your net. Look at Cambodia and Laos. Good luck
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

paparazzi wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:38 pm Eli the bike guy new You Tube video looks at a visa extention rather than going out each month. Check it out.

Looks like maybe an extention every month is possible up to 3 months. Can be denied at any stage.

Tie up your passport for 5 days every month but may be better option than going for border run.
Thought I'd throw the link to the video here. Title of vid: Vietnam 30-day Tourist Visa permits — The best and worst case scenarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKZRQAHXgU&t=7s

Pretty sensible reading of the situation, at the moment.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic