Who were your ancestors , where did they come from.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Who were your ancestors , where did they come from.

Post by Duncan »

How many of you have traced your family history and were there any surprises ,,,, like are you related to the Queen of England or Donald Trump ?

Me,, I did a bit of research years ago, mostly through Census records, then Church records, Marriages, Deaths and Births as far back as early 1700's to mid 1700's.
Mostly pretty boring stuff like the ancestors were concentrated in and around Derbyshire England , Horsley Woodhouse and on the male side back then they were '' Nail Makers ,, then coalminers, while the females were mostly millinery factory workers. Not one academic in the whole lot , so I blame my ancestors on me failing to become a genius in this life .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Who were your ancestors , where did they come from.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

On my mother's side it was quite easy. I happened to live near the Genealogical Society, so became a member for a nominal fee and it allowed me to go back to 1600-1500s. Nothing in depth, but names and often jobs, relatives etc. A few unknown entities, but fairly straightforward. I mostly used Church records (Catholics are good for that), but other sources as well. Fun stuff. My father's side is another story and very difficult to find any info on. Can't even go back to 1900.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

As far as I know I was the result of a drunken fuck probably like most of us
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've never seen the fascination in it to be honest. The BBC make entire series of it, where they take famous people and show them their ancestral roots, called 'Who do you think you are?' which seems to have captured the public's imagination, so there's definitely a lot of interest in it and I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather watch paint dry.

Go back far enough and you'll see that we're all related to the same single celled organism, same aquatic animal, same amphibian, same land animal, same mammal etc. In fact, scientists believe that all non-African humans come from one single female individual who was part of a tribe that were the first human-type species to leave Africa via what is now known as Egypt across into Saudi Arabia. From there, the tribe expanded and spread throughout the middle east before moving up through Asia and into Europe. But everyone who's DNA is not rooted solely in Africa alone comes from that one single woman who they call (unsurprisingly) Eve.

I'm one of six children from my parents, my father was one of twelve. Each and every one of us have our own personalities, characteristics and individual outlooks. In all honesty, the only thing that connects us is family, which I do believe is very important, but largely only for those still alive to experience it. If you showed me a photo of my great grandmothers great grandmother, I would feel no more connection to her than I would a photo of any random person from that era. (Yes, I know photography wasn't around in the time of my great grandmothers great grandmothers time, but the principle still stands)

We're all related if you go back far enough. Finding out that I'm somehow part of a hereditary line that goes back to some king or queen says nothing about me as an individual in the year 2020.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:34 pm I've never seen the fascination in it to be honest. The BBC make entire series of it, where they take famous people and show them their ancestral roots, called 'Who do you think you are?' which seems to have captured the public's imagination, so there's definitely a lot of interest in it and I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather watch paint dry.

Go back far enough and you'll see that we're all related to the same single celled organism, same aquatic animal, same amphibian, same land animal, same mammal etc. In fact, scientists believe that all non-African humans come from one single female individual who was part of a tribe that were the first human-type species to leave Africa via what is now known as Egypt across into Saudi Arabia. From there, the tribe expanded and spread throughout the middle east before moving up through Asia and into Europe. But everyone who's DNA is not rooted solely in Africa alone comes from that one single woman who they call (unsurprisingly) Eve.

I'm one of six children from my parents, my father was one of twelve. Each and every one of us have our own personalities, characteristics and individual outlooks. In all honesty, the only thing that connects us is family, which I do believe is very important, but largely only for those still alive to experience it. If you showed me a photo of my great grandmothers great grandmother, I would feel no more connection to her than I would a photo of any random person from that era. (Yes, I know photography wasn't around in the time of my great grandmothers great grandmothers time, but the principle still stands)

We're all related if you go back far enough. Finding out that I'm somehow part of a hereditary line that goes back to some king or queen says nothing about me as an individual in the year 2020.

Thats something that I have found is interesting, how our earlier ancestors had rather large families of 12 or more kids , including mine ,, and as we get closer to our generation families have got smaller and smaller till eventually couples end up having no kids , then not even bothering to get married,,, then same sexes living together.
I believe the future generations of families will be several men and several women living together as defacto partners. It has already started with mainly group of 3 living together and as economics makes it harder for even two people to earn a living and survive would make sense that there should be more bread winners in a family and a few extra partners to stay at home and take care of kids etc.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9BNf ... 51EC9o6zw-

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9BNf ... i_VbfxKuQ-
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Brody wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:13 pm Image
I simply don't believe it. And if it were true, what does that say about the teacher who was found to be teaching in a school just half a mile away? You come from a lineage of blood that never bothered to explore your surroundings for over 9,000 years.

Mind you, for most of that time, cheap flights to Cambodia to teach English didn't exist.

So it could be true I guess :idea:
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Duncan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:21 pm How many of you have traced your family history and were there any surprises ,,,, like are you related to the Queen of England or Donald Trump ?

Me,, I did a bit of research years ago, mostly through Census records, then Church records, Marriages, Deaths and Births as far back as early 1700's to mid 1700's.
Mostly pretty boring stuff like the ancestors were concentrated in and around Derbyshire England , Horsley Woodhouse and on the male side back then they were '' Nail Makers ,, then coalminers, while the females were mostly millinery factory workers. Not one academic in the whole lot , so I blame my ancestors on me failing to become a genius in this life .
As they are both krauts..... :bow:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Back before it was fashionable to get all excited about this, my family history on the ‘English’ side was sporadically mapped out, with some interesting history, and some curious gaps. My uncle is an avid historian.
The Irish side of the family is a mess, and when delving deeper simply becomes very confusing, often best overlooked to avoid some inconvenient truths.

The English side has some tenuous connection with Hanover, with some hint at the family name being anglicized way back. My German is non existent, so clearly no Master race DNA here. Most mingling of the proud hun background with the scruffy locals happened around the time of some mad bloke called George. They seem mainly clustered around one area of Britain- safety in numbers, or easier to keep an eye on the buggers, who knows?
The English family name appears on a road sign, no less. I’m sure it’ll get renamed to something more politically correct in line with Britain’s mad march towards diversity one day.
We’re a bit scattered these days, with family elements on several continents, by virtue of service to the empire (British) among other things. A couple of wars seem to have interrupted things. I’m fairly certain the Australian contingent went there by choice, as opposed to doing so at the whim of some magistrate.

I think one of our major failings is communication- there’s scraps of written history that come to light only when the person with more info to fill the gaps can no longer do so without a Ouija board.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic