My Life as a Hotelier in Cambodia I, II and III

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Re: My Life as a Hotelier in Cambodia I, II and III

Post by Kinetic »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am My Life as a Hotelier in Cambodia I, II and III

By KJE
AUGUST 6, 2018

Most difficult and absolutely the worst: French

Quoiiiiiii?
:lol:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kinetic wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:57 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am My Life as a Hotelier in Cambodia I, II and III

By KJE
AUGUST 6, 2018

Quoiiiiiii?
:lol:
"Le French Fuck"... absolutely keeping that picture for future reference. :beer3:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I always read one or two of the bad reviews if they are very recent. I'm on the look out for up to date info such as a major refurb is in full swing or there is now piling going on all day at the next door building site.

Sometimes the bad reviews are funny, you can tell they are nutters from the get-go. I have always found that if I have a problem with a hotel then simply asking nicely will get the issue resolved. Most places are keen to know your problem now rather than reading about it in a bad review.
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

Overseas Cambodian 2 out of 10 – 10 being the best
A close second: Italian 3
Third: Spanish, Finnish 4
Fourth: Austrian, Vietnamese 5
Fifth: Dutch, Belgian 6
Sixth: Russian, Japanese 7
Seventh: Scandinavian, Chinese 8
Eigth: American, British, Irish,
Cambodian, Thai 8-9
Ninth: German, Swiss,
Australian, New Zealand 9

Full. https://about-cambodia.blogspot.com/201 ... dia-i.html
https://about-cambodia.blogspot.com/201 ... ia-ii.html
https://about-cambodia.blogspot.com/201 ... a-iii.html

I'm often appauled at the state people leave hotel rooms and serviced-apartments in. I always make a point of asking the poor housekeepers what nationality the recently departed guests who left the room looking like a bomb site are.

From what I can ascertain Indians, Cambodians and Chinese seem to have a severe lack of respect for our fellow humans. I'm not sure whether it's the whole I'm-richer-than-you-therefore-above-cleaning-up-this-fucking-pigsty-of-a-mess-I've-left.

Leaving dirty dishes, food and rubbish strewn on the floor suggests they're as inconsiderate and arrogant as they are uncivilised.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Sad to say, I’ve met many a poorly bred colleague that treats hotels, hire cars, etc with utter contempt. (Proportionally) Less so now in aviation than I did in engineering, but it still irritates the hell out of me when I see it.

Their attitude- they’re the guest; the hotel should expect it; and in some cases- we’ve paid for it.
In one particular hotel of which our company represented 20% occupancy, 12months of the year, Which in reality made us 100% of all occupants for a good proportion of the time. Some of our American colleagues resented that there were no dedicated coffee machines in the hotel rooms. Their solution was to make coffee directly in the kettle. Net result, every one who wanted hot water for tea had coffee flavoured water- i guess it’s not for nothing that coffee makes for good narcotics camo.
The hotel eventually refused to provide any new kettles.

What these cretins fail to understand is that everyone is then on the receiving end of reduced customer service.
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

Gross!

It's well known that kettles are sometimes used by guests to sterilise dirty items of clothing in.

And I'm pretty sure those glasses in your room ain't cleaned downstairs in the kitchen's dishwasher either. That perfect polish they have was most likely achieved by the previous occupant's bathmat.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I know people with hotels in Cambodia who gave done exceedingly well. They began back in 2000-2007. Some French and some Australian and Kiwi. The Billabong and Walkabou come to mind.
The most successful is the Plantation guy with several outlets. Then there are the Mad Monkey poms, they started quite late, about 2012? The White Palace Frenchman too. The old US Embassy annex building.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic