Retirees, And The Lack Of Anything Meaningful

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Retirees, And The Lack Of Anything Meaningful

Post by Alex »

Stickman cracks me up. Completely out of the loop far far away in NZ, I have no idea why he continues writing his column. Nostalgia? Cannot let go? In his own way, he's just a sad fuck himself.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

There's a lot of old lonely men drinking themselves to the end back home, sans sunshine, smiles and good food.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 am They are here for the cheap beer and the easy women. Nothing wrong with that.
dream on. you mean they want to take advantage if easy peopke trafficking which would not be allowed in their own countries. very few of the easy women fo it from choice
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:42 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 am They are here for the cheap beer and the easy women. Nothing wrong with that.
dream on. you mean they want to take advantage if easy peopke trafficking which would not be allowed in their own countries. very few of the easy women fo it from choice
Replace “easy” with “friendly and respectful”.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I used easy for the economy of words but if semantics are to be observed okay women who, at home, would ignore them. I include my own wife in this. She is 24 years younger than me and very pretty. (She also isn’t and has never been a working girl) I am under no illusions why she is with me either.

Regarding the background of girls on the game and if it’s exploitation or not sone people might think that and they are entitled to think that too. But if they do think that then the region ain’t for them.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I must admit that I find retirement less than meaningful somedays. I miss my professional life, the feeling of accomplishment and the recognition that comes with it, the banter with associates that practiced with me for 30 some years. My children are far away, I am unable to volunteer given my visa and my hobby of travel, over 50 countries while pleasurable is not something that one can do full time. I saw my father struggle to gain his footing when he retired and I was sure that a trip to buy new tires for the car or pick up some groceries was not going to be the highlight of my day. I now have a dog, the first time ever, garden and am in the midst of clearing some jungle land we own. I grow orchids and assorted herbs ( photo attached) but I believe most men are not well prepared for retirement and find the adjustment difficult. Funny, we spend our adult lives working towards it and saving for it but most of us are so occupied with our professional lives and the satisfaction and personal reward that it brings that when we retire it is a little like a divorce, There is a hole that needs to be filled and I am unsure if woodworking or building model trains would ever fill the void, at least for me.

shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am Although its stickman so thailand, am sure it fits for Cambodia.
I wonder, if i wasn't in a relationship and was living on a budget, would i want to live in SE Asia? Would i find visiting bars (i visit maybe 1 / month an thats really only to eat their food) every Or every other night a way to spend my last years ?
More than a few foreign retirees in Thailand strike me as miserable. Living in their small condo with crappy furniture, a rock-hard bed and not a single photo of family, are they really as happy as they make out?

Many single, foreign retirees in Thailand have simplified their lifestyle to what strikes me as the extreme. Long gone are the days of living in a house, rather many exist in a condo, often a small studio that feels like a shoebox. Where once they might have had a car or two in their homeland, now they may have a motorbike, or no vehicle at all. They might be able to pack their whole life in to just a suitcase or two.

There are plenty of arguments for simplifying your life. Capital isn’t tied up in property. You don’t have the hassles or expense of vehicle servicing and maintenance. You’re free of encumbrances and you can up and move on at the drop of a hat if you so wish.
I don’t subscribe to the idea that you need to keep busy, but I do think life is better, and more enriching if you have something or someone to care for, in other words something with real meaning.
https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly- ... eaningful/
Who's copying a post I made a few years back then?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:36 pm I must admit that I find retirement less than meaningful somedays. I miss my professional life, the feeling of accomplishment and the recognition that comes with it, the banter with associates that practiced with me for 30 some years. My children are far away, I am unable to volunteer given my visa and my hobby of travel, over 50 countries while pleasurable is not something that one can do full time. I saw my father struggle to gain his footing when he retired and I was sure that a trip to buy new tires for the car or pick up some groceries was not going to be the highlight of my day. I now have a dog, the first time ever, garden and am in the midst of clearing some jungle land we own. I grow orchids and assorted herbs ( photo attached) but I believe most men are not well prepared for retirement and find the adjustment difficult. Funny, we spend our adult lives working towards it and saving for it but most of us are so occupied with our professional lives and the satisfaction and personal reward that it brings that when we retire it is a little like a divorce, There is a hole that needs to be filled and I am unsure if woodworking or building model trains would ever fill the void, at least for me.

Great post yes retirement doesn't live up to expectations for many of us what the answer is I don't know
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Last edited by shnoukieBRO on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Still rather be here than face getting up at 6.30 in the freezing cold and then facing another groundhog day in the office, attending the same old shit meetings , talking about the same old shit issues but not really doing anything about them but just ticking the boxes for the little hitlers on the next step up the slimy ladder.

Grass is always greener, but for me the grass here is certainly greener on a day to day basis than where I came from even if some days are a little boring.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic