$100 Reward Offered for Anyone Who Can Identity Black Lexus RX300 Involved in Hit & Run

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: $100 Reward Offered for Anyone Who Can Identity Black Lexus RX300 Involved in Hit & Run

Post by pczz »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 pm
Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:12 pm Should add that the number plate in that case would be "2?-7164", so you're only missing the letter. Sadly a quick Google check doesn't reveal any previous on any number plate from 2A-7164 through to 2Z-7164 in any local news.
How do you know it would start with 2? Do all car plates start with 2?
I believe the first 2 or sometmes 3 characters are a code for the vehicle taxband which depends on horsepower/cyclinders and not sure what. So a straight 300 lexus would be domething like 2A, and a 330 with a big =ger engine would be 2B or 2Ab or something like that. A more powerful engine might begin 3a.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: $100 Reward Offered for Anyone Who Can Identity Black Lexus RX300 Involved in Hit & Run

Post by frizzie77 »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm there is still plenty for the boys in khaki to dig into on the last 4 digits and 'black lexus' alone. Not that they will sadly.
It made me thinking: is there any computerized number plate system here? I'd think there should be by now, and if there is, indeed, a search for a black Lexus 300 OR 330 with number plate ending in the digits mentioned should be enough to track down the car. Or at least narrow it down to just a few, I think. Or am I thinking too simplistic?

Unless of course the number plates are not matched with the car model/brand/color they're on. Don't tell me that's the case in Cambodia... (although, would I really be surprised?)
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

The Ministry of Public Works and Transport would be able to assist police to find suspect vehicles for sure- their systems have all been updated to include even the new QR codes you see on more recent number plates.

The problem is that the police would never get off their butts unless the victim is somebody of standing, or handing over wads of cash in advance with no guarantee of results. In a non-motoring incident I was once asked for $5k up front (to recover $5k), with no guarantee of result- as you can imagine, simply walked away rather than doubling losses.

Yes all cars usually start with “2”, motorbikes with “1” - there’s a Wikipedia article on it somewhere. Only recently have MPWT started to break that system with personalized number plates; you’re not seeing things when a Roller goes by with “SAMNANG” on the number plate.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

As far as i was aware the car has been seen advertised for sale. The number plate was not a 7 but a 1 so 1164.and a black rx300 with newly painted front end was up for sale..
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 pm
Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:12 pm Should add that the number plate in that case would be "2?-7164", so you're only missing the letter. Sadly a quick Google check doesn't reveal any previous on any number plate from 2A-7164 through to 2Z-7164 in any local news.
As a survivor of many dramatic motorcycle events, the worst of which left me on crutches for 12 months almost, it's interesting how much minutae you can recall. I believe it's something to do with the perception of limial time.
Many? I am always baffled by bike users that keep riding after they have fallen off, sometimes many time and sometimes after a serious injury.
Why do you all do it? That's a serious question.

I had a friend in the UK who fell of a Ducati; broken arm, collar bone, ankle - a right mess. His wife was distraught and begged him to get rid of the bike. I told him to sell it and grow the fuck up, he has a wife and baby and a lucky escape - don't push your luck - get rid of it.

A year later she got her wish, the bike was gone but so was he. He came off on a bend and got crushed by an oncoming car. Dead. True story...

Anyway, completely off topic so I'll leave it there.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 pm
As a survivor of many dramatic motorcycle events, the worst of which left me on crutches for 12 months almost, it's interesting how much minutae you can recall. I believe it's something to do with the perception of limial time.
Many? I am always baffled by bike users that keep riding after they have fallen off, sometimes many time and sometimes after a serious injury.
Why do you all do it? That's a serious question.

I have trouble believing anybody who calls themselves a bike rider and claims they never came off.

Anyhow, "many dramatic incidents" does not mean a crash each time...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic