Should i send this to John Kerry

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Should i send this to John Kerry

Post by phuketrichard »

in response to his letter to Thailand? and if i do will i expect to receive visitors or stopped on my next visit home?

To John Kerry:
Secretary of State

As a US citizen and long term resident of Thailand, I am very disappointed and embarrassed by your letter to the Thai government concerning the military takeover of the government.

(http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/ ... 226446.htm)
The tone of the letter is arrogant, presumptive and will be considered deeply offensive by the Thai government. I can only presume and hope that this letter represents your personal opinion as a misguided attempt at statesmanship or diplomacy and does not reflect the will of the US people. After all, as an appointed rather than elected official I do not see how you could possibly believe you represent the collective will of the US people any more than you believe the actions of an unelected government can reflect the will of the Thai people.

You state that there is no justification for the military coup. Yet it appears you have reached this conclusion without making an effort to fully understand the situation in Thailand, polling the opinions of the Thai population or having direct dialog with any of the parties involved.

Many people around the world have watched in dismay as the US has sent military forces into sovereign countries, overthrown governments through force and appointed interim unelected governments. At no time was the will of the local population ever solicited or taken into consideration. Those actions have resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent civilians, as well as countless military personnel on both sides, yet were considered as justified in order to try to implement democratic reforms in those countries .... an objective that appears to have never been fully achieved in many cases.

In Thailand there was a situation of chaos, instability and complete governmental paralysis with no hope for a political solution, as all opposing factions refused to accept any compromise, were apparently arming themselves, and have threaten to resort to violent measures to achieve their goals. As what they appeared to feel was the only practical solution, the military has enacted a completely bloodless takeover of government, in their own country, in order to stop random acts of violence that were threatening to escalate into possibly a civil war. The military government leadership has clearly indicated that the military takeover is a temporary situation until a stable elected democratic government can be reinstate . However, you call it unjustified, while US's own bloody takeover of foreign governments is completely justified. I fail to understand your thinking.

It is wrong to use elections as the main determination of whether a government is democratic, represents the will of the people and serves the best interests of all it's citizens.
I think history can show that benevolence, morality and good intentions of the controlling government is of more importance than whether it was elected or not.

While you are criticizing this bloodless installation of an unelected government, I don't recall ever reading any US letter condemning the massive abuses of human rights that have occurred under various elected "democratic" Thai governments. For example, the approximately 2,500 deaths in 2003 that occurred during a crackdown on drug trafficking, many of which were believed to be extrajudicial killings by police officers. Or for example the Tak Bai incident in 2004 when 7 protesters were shot, many were beaten and 78 suffocated in the back of a truck while in detention.

In past elections some Thai politicians have taken the position that any election victory gives them absolute power to do as they please, leading to massive corruption and situations where government policy and political appointments appear to be enacted for personal gain rather than in the interests of the people. Politicians have openly stated that if you don't support them during the election, don't expect any support after they win the election. This is the type of situation that led to the 2006 coup and numerous indictments against the now fugitive ex-prime minister for corruption and abuse of power. Even today politicians state that any action by the courts to limit their power, or hold them accountable for their actions, amounts to a judicial coup.

You state that because of the Thai military actions, you are reviewing your military and other assistance and engagements. You urge the restoration of civilian government immediately, a return to democracy, and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, such as press freedoms. In light of the the military support and protection agreements that the US has with other allies that do not have elected governments, including some in the middle east that have never had representational government, any form of democracy and do not allow freedom of speech and religion, how do you justify the decidedly undiplomatic letter you have written and the hard line taken with the Thai military, a long time friend and ally.

In the past coup in 2006 and the present one, the military appeared to be acting in what they think to be in the best interests of the country and not for personal power or financial gain. I wish the same could be said for all of the elected or appointed members of the past governments. My own observation is that many Thai, and foreign residents, have felt relief at the military intervention as they feel it gives them escape from a ruling majority government that is perceived to be inept, corrupt and self serving.

In view of our past relationship with Thailand I believe you should read and take note of the UK and China's written response to the Thai military action. It is much more in the nature of the conciliatory approach the US should be taking, particularly at a time when the US needs allies in Asia to counter balance ascending China assertion of power in Asia.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Should i send this to John Kerry

Post by Milord »

Priceless. I wish this was distributed to "letters to the editor" of several papers.

Of course your house is surrounded now by US Agents.

My guess is that the General had prior approval from the US.

Isn't the largest CIA Outpost for asia based in Thailand?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hahaha;
if i sent it, I am sure my daughter in ca would be visited by men in suits wondering where i am :-)

Read what i just posted, https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... 3438#p3438
i doubt he had approval
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Thanks for the lead. He's taking no shit. Who appoints the General?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I don't think you'd get any trouble for sending it. He will probably just assume that you've staid in Thailand for too long. And I'm serious about that, for a typical American living in the States it's extremely difficult to understand why a coup can - depending on the circumstances - actually be justified, or the lesser evil compared to an "elected" government abusing its power.

That said, I think it's much too early to say whether this coup was a good or a bad thing. As observers, we've got the privilege to see how it plays out without being forced to take sides, and maybe it pays off to postpone judgment until things will become more clear. Also, even if the coup makers' intentions are indeed good, how they will materialize is a different question. The 2006 coup is a good example.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I'm thinking of starting a coup-friendly tourist company.

I hope to pay off government officials for staging mock coups if there isn't one going on when groups arrive, and we split the increased travel costs/visas etc.

Or perhaps I'm just going coup-coup?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Man why people have trouble understanding that the people with the real money know what is best for their country.

They tried election already it is just that they do not know how to vote for the good people. Tss tss
jonnohitler
Expatriate

Post by jonnohitler »

I'd hope the US Secretary of State would have more important things to do than read letters from random nutters in Asia.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

jonnohitler wrote:I'd hope the US Secretary of State would have more important things to do than read letters from random nutters in Asia.
Ho it will be read, at least partially they have people who do this.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Jonno, Wise up before you call ppl a nutter.

NSA should have this on his desk by morning. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic