Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by jaclu »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:35 pm Image
Finally a moment where nail biters have an Darwinian advantage!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Flew into Penang from Bangkok this evening and there was a medical team screening everyone on arrival. Pointed some sort of laser device at my head, I guess that's the thermal imaging thingy they refer to.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:37 pm Flew into Penang from Bangkok this evening and there was a medical team screening everyone on arrival. Pointed some sort of laser device at my head, I guess that's the thermal imaging thingy they refer to.
Maybe a forehead thermometer?
Thermal imagers usually screen the full body, or at least the torso.

Maybe they haven't rolled out the imagers yet? or maybe don't intend to?
They don't have a great rep for detecting 'flu when used alone (Good to show you are clean, 'not the point).
Best practice for imager use is to combine it with these other diagnostic tools >>
Thermometers, questioning, observing. < maybe these 3 are enough??
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by jaclu »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:37 pm Flew into Penang from Bangkok this evening and there was a medical team screening everyone on arrival. Pointed some sort of laser device at my head, I guess that's the thermal imaging thingy they refer to.
That sounds more like a remote thermometer, they often have a red beam to help you with your aim. I used to be a firefighter and we used them all the time after a fire as you monitored the building for typically 12h to make sure nothing started burning in the walls or under floors, since you can't really notice anything until the fire has restarted fully. This way you could just sweep the walls for any hotspots, and if found and not looking critical, notice the temp and ensure it was slowly chilling down. Cant remember but I think ours had a range of 25 meters, but this was 20 years ago, so the range could be off.

We often played with them when not on duty on each other and all kinds of regular stuff, like who's tea is the hottest, how hot was your forehead when you couldn't stand it any more in the sauna etc

EDIT: typo, but I'm sure there are more :)
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Was wishing my China partners Happy CNY at midnight a dear friend from Wuhan replied simply

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

IF YOU ARE NO AFRAID YOU SHOULD BE. Just had a 20 minute chat with a chinese on riverside from wuhan. got out just before the travel ban. Said it was too dangerous to stay and he is not the only one. The trvel ban was expected and a lot of residents legged it on the first flight/boat/plane they could get on. Buy your facemasks now
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

As millions go home for the holidays, travel restrictions have been expanded to 13 cities - home to more than 36 million people - in Hubei province, the centre of the outbreak.

There are currently 830 confirmed cases in China, 26 of whom have died.

The virus has now spread to Europe, with two cases confirmed in France.

The first case was in Bordeaux, while the second was in the Paris area, the French health minister said on Friday night.

Wuhan, where the outbreak began, is rapidly building a new hospital.

The city - home to around 11 million people - is struggling to cope with the increasing number of patients.

We have a crucial new piece of information - people with no symptoms of infection may be able to spread the virus.

Scientists in China have published detailed information, in the Lancet medical journal, on the first cases in the country.

It includes information on a child with no outward symptoms, but a clear coronavirus infection in their lungs.

Prof Kwok-Yung Yuen from the University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital said "asymptomatic infection appears possible".

How often or easily this happens is far from clear, but it could make the virus far harder to contain.

Prof Yuen said if this was the case, then controlling the epidemic would rely on isolating patients and quarantining anyone they came into contact with "as early as possible".

Researchers also said the new virus was closely related to one found in Chinese horseshoe bats.

jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by jaclu »

jaclu wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:18 pm
That sounds more like a remote thermometer, they often have a red beam to help you with your aim. I used to be a firefighter and we used them all the time after a fire as you monitored the building for typically 12h to make sure nothing started burning in the walls or under floors, since you can't really notice anything until the fire has restarted fully. This way you could just sweep the walls for any hotspots, and if found and not looking critical, notice the temp and ensure it was slowly chilling down. Cant remember but I think ours had a range of 25 meters, but this was 20 years ago, so the range could be off.

We often played with them when not on duty on each other and all kinds of regular stuff, like who's tea is the hottest, how hot was your forehead when you couldn't stand it any more in the sauna etc

EDIT: typo, but I'm sure there are more :)
Forgot to mention, they are using IR and not laser, at least not the ones we used.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Yes think that sounds like what is was with the infra red beam.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic