Road conditions - Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Road conditions - Cambodia

Post by doktor_d »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I take it you haven't driven that way these past two years? ;-)
I drove that same route about a year ago but can't remember there being any roadwork going on at that time.. At least nothing that slowed me down any. I won't swear to it though. I do spend a lot of time on different roads and it is possible my memory is failing me. :D
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

Username Taken wrote:
doktor_d wrote:There's some heavy construction going on @ National Road 6A all the way out to the Prek Ta Meak bridge.
Goes beyond the Prek Ta Meak bridge turn. Was out that way recently, perhaps 5 to 10 Km beyond there and it's terrible.
I didn't go farther than that as I turned on to NR8 from there, but that's good to know. I rarely go up that way though.. I prefer to take the NR8/NR11 route if I'm going to Kampong Cham/Kratie, etc. rather than NR6A.
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

... a couple of locals are using it for tuktuk parking ...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Can one travel from Banlung in Rattanakiri to Sen Monorom in Mondulkiri by car without going back to HWY 13 and Kratie and Stung Treng.

I want go SR- ST- Banlung- Sen Monorom- Kompong Cham- PP

Thanks
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The answer is yes, but the two bridges aren't finished yet so I heard the ferry guys are charging big money for the crossings.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

can u take a car?
how much?
how are the roads? hard packed dirt or?
How long a drive?

Any and ALL info greatly accepted :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

... a few food carts have arrived ...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I haven't done it myself since they've built the road but got some first hand account when I was in Mondulkiri a few weeks ago. The road is a smooth (and wide) red dirt road. A few sandy patches but nothing to worry about on a car. You can easily do 90km/h. I know trucks have been taking it so for sure you can drive it. I don't know how much the ferries cost, but it can't be that expensive. Just a bit more than normal ferries I'd imagine as the guys are probably trying to milk what they can before the bridges are operational. Best to wait for some reliable info from someone who just drove it for that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

... a couple of monks are presenting their food bowls ...
Sohi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sohi »

The road from Otres to highway 4 is now easily passable by car
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic