Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by phuketrichard »

sammycooke wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 pm
hunter8 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm Do you guys understand that to meaningfully fight carbon emission the size of the world economy would have to be cut in half or more? Standards of living in the western world would have to drop to those in asian countries. Those western kids fighting for it would have to live on rice, wear the same clothes for years, no modern gadgets, walking instead of driving, et cetera, et cetera. My level of english is not native but i am sure you get the picture. It is simply not going to happen. Not as much as and as fast as necessary if indeed the climate is changing due to modern economy emitting too much gas into atmosphere. So in my view it’s all empty talk, co2 emissions will continue unabated to keep economy on pace with populations’ expectations.
I believe that earlier you were basically denying that climate change was due to our collective emitting of co2 among other things.

Now you are making some sense that people will not change the way they pursue greater wealth thus exasperating the problem further. Millions of people are entering middle class and demanding all that goes with it. And those that aren't there yet are striving to get there while still burning coal charcoal to heat and cook.

You are unfortunately probably correct.
concerning coal, seen any of the discussions with the Indians an how they would love to be able to be like the west BUT unfortunately they are decades behind the west and have over 300 million citizens that dont have access to any energy source an hence need to look at coal.

Its always the poor that will get hit the hardest with disruptive weather patterns an such.

No quick fix but to do nothing and ignore climate change, ( like that asshole trump) is condemning future generations and the planet
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:58 pm Yeah, thanks for the info. I cut straight to the point. Yes, it’s too much effort for these kids. I’ve been through worse times in my younger age, i can do it again. But western kids are spoiled too much, i don’t think they can take it. If the worst happens, it happens by nature. Knowing is one thing but applying knowledge is not something they will want to do. Not going to happen. With this conclusion i will not waste more energy on this topic.
Ha ha,

Americans' Attitudes About Global Warming, by Age

Americans' Attitudes About Global Warming, by Age
18 to 34 35 to 54 55 and older Age gap (18 to 34 minus 55+)

Think global warming will pose a serious threat in your lifetime 51 47 29 22
Think global warming is caused by human activities 75 62 55 20
Think problem of global warming is underestimated in the news 48 38 31 17
Think most scientists believe global warming is occurring 73 69 58 15
Worry a great deal/fair amount about global warming 70 63 56 14
Think effects of global warming already begun 62 63 54 8
Understand global warming issue very/fairly well 82 80 76 6
Think global warming will pose a serious threat in your lifetime 51 47 29 22
Think global warming is caused by human activities 75 62 55 20
Think problem of global warming is underestimated in the news 48 38 31 17
Think most scientists believe global warming is occurring 73 69 58 15
Worry a great deal/fair amount about global warming 70 63 56 14
Think effects of global warming already begun 62 63 54 8
Understand global warming issue very/fairly well 82 80 76 6

https://news.gallup.com/poll/234314/glo ... rried.aspx

Heres what Gallup polls have to say, of course they didn t just give their opinion of what others think, they asked people what they think.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Not disagreeing with you Rich. at all ^^^

But would like to point out that large scale coal power is not going to bring reading lights to the poor in villages.
At least, should i say, Small scale renewables are clearly the best and cheapest way to do that.

This argument is often trotted out - always by those who usually express zero interest in the needs of the poor (Not referring to you). But it is bullshit. The coal power is for industrialisation.
If any of it goes to the masses, it will be so the industrialists can spread the cost of their infrastructure.

That is an issue worth discussing for sure, power for industrialisation. But don't conflate it with helping the poor.
It is the worst kind of hypocritical, self serving, deception. Despicable imo.
Don't get sucked in.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

ie go study 'the dismal science' instead of that earth-science stuff

quite a jarring illustration that the status quo is unacceptable, especially to the young
they correctly sense the limits of 'economics', free markets, the inherent flaws and absurdities in capitalism, and especially financeers, etc

monstra mihi bona!
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:02 pm
ie go study 'the dismal science' instead of that earth-science stuff

quite a jarring illustration that the status quo is unacceptable, especially to the young
they correctly sense the limits of 'economics', free markets, the inherent flaws and absurdities in capitalism, and especially financeers, etc
Britain is a country where we no longer feel in control of our lives. Where institutions wielding power over us are increasingly seen as unethical. Where we’re influenced by events, rather than influencing events. If Edelman’s annual trust barometer tells us one thing this year, it’s that we are indeed a country suffering a crisis of confidence.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trus ... -9pztlfctn

A majority of people around the world believe capitalism in its current form is doing more harm than good, a survey found ahead of this week's Davos meeting of business and political leaders.
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 335_1.html

Rising income inequality is undermining confidence in capitalism around the world, according to a survey conducted by public relations firm Edelman ahead of the gathering of the elites in the Swiss ski resort of Davos.

Among those surveyed in the report published Monday, 56% thought capitalism was doing more harm than good despite another year of solid economic growth and near-full employment in many developed countries.
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/capit ... id/950553/

Not just young people, not just white people, not just Europeans, Americans, Canadian or Australians. 56% of those surveyed worldwide believe capitalism in its current state is more harmful than beneficial. 2,604 billionaires have more assets than the bottom 60% of mankind. 2,604 lamp posts put to good use would go a long way to making the planet a more equal place. No offense intended to any billionaires who may peruse the forum.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:57 pm No, i don’t use drugs. What you are saying is carbon emissions have skyrocketed, this is undeniable. But what is the proof that climate is changing because of that?
It's physics. Simple physics.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas which absorbs infrared radiation send out by the Earth (heated up by the sun) and converts it into heat. Thus heating up the atmosphere. The more of it there is, the more heating up there is. No scientist is doubting this.

That's the simple basics.

After that there's al kind of feedback mechanisms in place, or there aren't, or we aren't sure (yet), making it more difficult, but the basics are just what they are... The basics of physics...
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:15 pm
hunter8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:57 pm No, i don’t use drugs. What you are saying is carbon emissions have skyrocketed, this is undeniable. But what is the proof that climate is changing because of that?

CO2 is a greenhouse gas which absorbs infrared radiation send out by the Earth (heated up by the sun) and converts it into heat. Thus heating up the atmosphere. The more of it there is, the more heating up there is. No scientist is doubting this.

After that there's al kind of feedback mechanisms in place, or there aren't, or we aren't sure (yet), making it more difficult, but the basics are just what they are... The basics of physics...
https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/10/ ... an-tuttle/

Obviously some scientists received bad grades at school and don’t understand simple physics.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:02 pm inherent flaws and absurdities in capitalism
Communism has been tried many times and failed because it’s against human nature that desires to own things. Not only failed but claimed millions of lives. It all happened already in the 20th century. Capitalism may be bad but it’s the best we have. Experiments of communism are bound to be repeated by bad students of history.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:15 pm

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/10/ ... an-tuttle/

Obviously some scientists received bad grades at school and don’t understand simple physics.
Don't you remember a few pages back when I linked to the national review as a dissenting opinion? And I said it had its issues?
"According to Philip Bump of The Washington Post, National Review "has regularly criticized and rejected the scientific consensus on climate change". In 2015, the magazine published an intentionally deceptive graph that suggested that there was no climate change. The graph set the lower and upper bounds of the chart at -10 and 110 degree Fahrenheit and zoomed out so as to obscure warming trends."
This is in addition to TNR supporting that Obama birther nonsense, publishing Ann Coulters piece about Muslims saying "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity." and publishing a positive piece by Jeffrey Epsteins publicist describing her as a "science writer".
And, they probably suck at math
If you want to discuss this stuff fine. If you want to troll, or seek positive reinforcement for your established (and contrary to scientific opinion) views please feel free to visit 8kun they thrive on that shit there.
up to you...
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Fine. Starting tomorrow everyone in the west cut their consumption by half to match with asian countries! Can’t? I thought so. Next problem please.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic