British PETER WELLS Detained for No Visa After Menacing Schoolkids

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British PETER WELLS Detained for No Visa After Menacing Schoolkids

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

How low can you go ?

Cambodia News (Siem Reap): On January 20, 2020, at 3:30 pm, a 35-year-old British man, PETER​ JAMES WELLS, was arrested for causing trouble in public and living illegally in Siem Reap.
Peter WELLS came to Cambodia from Vietnam on September 11, 2019, through the Bavet border. His one month tourist visa expired on October 11, 2019, and he did not get a visa extension which would allow him to remain in Cambodia legally.

It seems the Brtish man was out of funds, because in the afternoon of January 20, at 3 pm, the suspect tried to rob some Cambodian schoolkids by menacing them with a stick and asking for money at the Borey Prem Prey market in Siem Reap.

The police were called and they took the British man into custody and then sent him to the Department of Investigation and Procedure. The British man was surly and refused to cooperate with the police or answer any questions.
He has been sent to the deportation office.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British PETER WELLS Detained for No Visa After Menacing Schoolkids

Post by Doc67 »

Getting stroppy and trying a 'no comment' interview isn't going to do you any good here. He could end up in Prey Sar for a year because they forgot about him. Good...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I always wonder how people who "travel" end up in these shameful situations.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Well he's most satisfyingly gone.....

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:41 am Getting stroppy and trying a 'no comment' interview isn't going to do you any good here. He could end up in Prey Sar for a year because they forgot about him. Good...
If there is justice, he will share the cell with Bubba.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Does it get any worse? Strong armed robbery of children. Westerners begging in Cambodia is one thing, but using violence to rob children, ffs. This loser should have been taken in hand by some locals and quietly disposed of.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

As much as we like to make generalisations about our hosts out here, I'm sure they make generalisations about us, and this kind of thing really doesn't help. What sort of impression would those school kids be left with about westerners after an encounter like that? Every time I read about foreigners misbehaving / getting into trouble / begging on the streets / making an embarrassment of themselves, I can't help but cringe a little and I often end up feeling a bit of shame on behalf of the person who's causing the problem, for no other reason that I''m sure I'll be lumped in with people like that when Khmers make generalisations about us westerners.

Especially now that there is a review starting about tightening up the visa procedure, people really need to be aware that their behavior does have an impact on all of us.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Well said.

I do believe the cachet of being a westerner has definitely waned in Cambodia compared to 10, 15, 20 years ago.

I think these days we're more tolerated than admired by the locals.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

There's videos of this guy going around Siam ream with his large stick demanding cash from all ages of people and getting aggro when denied.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Brody wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 pm Well said.

I do believe the cachet of being a westerner has definitely waned in Cambodia compared to 10, 15, 20 years ago.

I think these days we're more tolerated than admired by the locals.
“Admired“, that is really funny. I can tell you the locals don't care that much what we are doing in general. If your behaving all right you will be tolerated, some people that you have a closer relationship might even like you.
But admiration would mean some serious charity work or something similar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic