Riverside over-run by pigeons

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riverside over-run by pigeons

Post by Mishmash »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 am While everyone is worried about the new coronavirus spreading, take a walk along riverside,,, and other areas ,,, and ask yourself if pigeons are a threat to your health. Remembering that children's noses and mouths are closer to the ground than adults and their lungs may be more susceptible to absorbing whatever they inhale

Quote ] For some people, pigeons serve as entertainment that can be bought with a few stale crusts of bread. For others, pigeons are nothing more than “rats with wings” that carry pathogens that spread harmful diseases. The question is, do pigeons spread diseases or is that just an urban myth?

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9BNY ... jiS5ymUi0-

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9BNY ... JxX8PY6I0-
Rats with Wings.

Histoplasmosis, Psittacosis, Cryptococcosis, Candidiasis, Ticks, Mites and other Parasites, salmonella, tuberculosis and ornithosis

Pigeons shit where they live - says it all.

Their shit is acidic and causes damage to buildings.

They are feral and do not need humans to feed them.

Terminate on Sight.

Signed Eva
Mish's Dog

Signed Chamroeurn
Mish's Cat

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

very good
'community' is an essential part of one's environment

monstra mihi bona!
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

Mish, I don't know how to quote, but if I did I’d say my Lola (also black and white!) will be happy to join in on some pigeon carnage. She often swallows them whole which is a bit disconcerting but seems no harm done and hey free raw food 😂

If I go thru with this crazy plan to move to Cambodia it won’t be Phnom Penh, but we can take a day trip for a good old fashioned pigeon slaughter. There is a group in NY that takes their terriers out ratting at night, I’ve corresponded with them as I also take her ratting around garbage piles. It can be a thing like that- the Phnom Penh Pigeon Punishers. We can get shirts and be a gang.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Pigeons have a way of pooping overhead, with their ammo always getting me right between my sunglasses and my eye.

Not a fan.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm amazed at the hatred for this rather inoffensive creature. I'm quite aware of health risks though so maybe we should just exterminate any/ all animals within the city limits? 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 pm I'm amazed at the hatred for this rather inoffensive creature. I'm quite aware of health risks though so maybe we should just exterminate any/ all animals within the city limits? 8)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_dove
They are not native. They are a reservoir for disease
up to you...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm quite aware of that, thank you. There aren't a whole lot of native birds in the center of town other than the ones caught on the outskirts and sold to be released for merit. As for the disease thing, you could say that about any animal but I don't recall anyone I know getting killed by a pigeon recently. In local culture people consider pigeons and doves as peaceful and loving creatures. They say if you kill the Preap a dark cloud of crows and swarms of seagulls will descend on the land and eat all the rice and fish. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 am
I'm quite aware of that, thank you. There aren't a whole lot of native birds in the center of town other than the ones caught on the outskirts and sold to be released for merit. As for the disease thing, you could say that about any animal but I don't recall anyone I know getting killed by a pigeon recently. In local culture people consider pigeons and doves as peaceful and loving creatures. They say if you kill the Preap a dark cloud of crows and swarms of seagulls will descend on the land and eat all the rice and fish. 8)
I wasn't trying to denigrate anything you said, they are however, a possibly under rated vector for disease.
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/he ... igeon.page
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/12/04-0511_article
They're not the worst thing ever, but as we seem to be entering an era when diseases, especially viruses are becoming more prevalent, reducing vectors seems prudent.
Keep in mind that the worst viral infections started in animals and crossed the species barrier. Smallpox to Ebola .
up to you...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cook half the population, I’m sure the French have a whole chapter of recipes, feed them to the needy.
Barely a dent in the pests’ population, and world hunger sorted for a week.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

They say if you kill the Preap a dark cloud of crows and swarms of seagulls will descend on the land and eat all the rice and fish.
don't get me started on seagulls...vermin...rats of the sky, stealer of chips grrrrrr
Even the ugly ones
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic