Working and paying taxes in Cambodia for a foreign company

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hmph
Expatriate

Re: Working and paying taxes in Cambodia for a foreign company

Post by hmph »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 pm I take it that you are not really working in Cambodia? You just happen to live in Cambodia but you work remotely? Otherwise I don't really see why your employer is not willing to set up branch here if they are doing business here.
I don't live in Cambodia. Thinking of relocating there. My company is not doing business in Cambodia. I would be working remotely.
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 pm Do you have to move officially here? Cannot you just keep your address in your home country and pay taxes there normally?
I could pay taxes in my home country. But then I would be paying 10% more. Plus, I would be breaking the law.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

hmph wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 pm I take it that you are not really working in Cambodia? You just happen to live in Cambodia but you work remotely? Otherwise I don't really see why your employer is not willing to set up branch here if they are doing business here.
I don't live in Cambodia. Thinking of relocating there. My company is not doing business in Cambodia. I would be working remotely.
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 pm Do you have to move officially here? Cannot you just keep your address in your home country and pay taxes there normally?
I could pay taxes in my home country. But then I would be paying 10% more. Plus, I would be breaking the law.
What country are you from? What law would you breaking? I would imagine your own country doesn't care as long as you pay your taxes there. How would they know where you are and doing what? Cambodia of course is different matter but like some posters have said I doubt there has been much tax evasion cases in Cambodia. There has been many remote workers working here before. Now days maybe less due to restrictions with visa.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

I would be breaking the law in Cambodia. My country doesn't care. But I rather pay 10% less tax and be legal in Cambodia.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

hmph wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 pm I would be breaking the law in Cambodia. My country doesn't care. But I rather pay 10% less tax and be legal in Cambodia.
Its fairly simple to get your own company and save the hassles and worries.

The tax here is lenient. You will have proof enough for your country to not double tax you.

Contrary to other posters views we cannot escape tax.

The Government here does have a budget and does provide services.

As you are resident here you are liable.

As you are not resident in the EU country you won't be using their services so the tax is not due.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic