I need a new phone

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I need a new phone

Post by Soriya »

I have an s8. Brought 2 weeks ago second hand for 175$. Its good but i also have a galaxy a30.bought 7 months ago new for 240$. As far as what i use them for there is no difference in performsnce and speed. Altho the a30 camera is better and screen bigger
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

The s9+ is around the 250$ second hand.

Samsung are good but in bang for your buck their cameras and on-board storage let the show down.

I use Huawei at the moment, but due to the US sanctions and the break with Google, I will be forced to change. Samsung or LG
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Updating and hijacking. I have very similar needs to the OP except for online banking. I currently have an ASUS Zenphone I bought in Vietnam 4 years back for a hundred bucks. I broke it some time back and while it kept working fine it is now slowly coming to bits and doing a few wonky things.

I want to replace it and I don't care about brand, only reliability/quality. Needn't be lightning fast, do extravagant video shit, have a 50 MP camera or anything else. I am one of the few that still uses a phone, as, well, a phone (mostly)!

I am heading to VN next week so I also have the option of shopping for one there. Possibly more selection and cheaper.

All said, can I get a replacement for a hundred bucks? If so, best option excluding second hand.

TIA, Johnny
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

You don't need an expensive phone for what you do. My redmi 6 has been fine for 2 years. the only problem is there is nowhere to buy cases or get them repaired in Cambodia if you did break it.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I bought a Samsung S8 (not the plus). The S8 is a very similar size to the old S6 which is fine for me.

I paid $160 for it and am very pleased with it.

Jost one word of caution when buy a used Android. Make sure it has an app installed called Phone INFO and run a test to make sure it has not been "Rooted" and that the KNOX counter hasn't been tripped.

If it has it cannot be used properly with banking apps. It is something to do with security. I don't know exactly what, but Barclays Bank in the UK would not allow the phone to use it's app and ABA said it was compromised. At that point it was no good to me and I returned it.

The shop knew all about this issue and swapped it for a replacement S6. It seems that many of them had the same issue. Better you check before you buy it.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

pczz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:15 am You don't need an expensive phone for what you do. My redmi 6 has been fine for 2 years. the only problem is there is nowhere to buy cases or get them repaired in Cambodia if you did break it.
There is a Xiaomi Service Center in PP and the phone shop I bought my wife and daughter's xiaomis, a 5 and 6, in PP at the NIKA Phone Shop worked on them and had cases too.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

beaker wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am
pczz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:15 am You don't need an expensive phone for what you do. My redmi 6 has been fine for 2 years. the only problem is there is nowhere to buy cases or get them repaired in Cambodia if you did break it.
There is a Xiaomi Service Center in PP and the phone shop I bought my wife and daughter's xiaomis, a 5 and 6, in PP at the NIKA Phone Shop worked on them and had cases too.
Damn. i asked everywhereand no one came up with that. Got my case fromuk for gbp 9.99
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic