Baht will continue to remain strong throughout 2020

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Baht will continue to remain strong throughout 2020

Post by phuketrichard »

Makes thailand expensive for tourists

The Thai baht will continue to maintain its strength for the rest of 2020. It will remain strong, propelled by the increased surpluses in the Thai current account and the country’s trade balance.

Kobsidthi Silpachai, KBank’s head of capital markets research, predicts that the Thai baht will float around 29.75 against the US dollar for the first half of 2020, and then appreciate to 29.25 at the end of the year,

Reuters report that the Thai baht was Asia’s star-performance currency during 2019, rising by more than 7% against the greenback.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/baht-wi ... ghout-2020
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Baht will continue to remain strong throughout 2020

Post by hunter8 »

It’s not such a large appreciation of the baht from last year, hardly the reason tourists will avoid to go to Thailand.

Some tourists less willing to travel to Thailand now is more likely due to possibility of immigration troubles. Even though in reality few people encounter those issues, in the digital age bad news travels fast and makes people worry about being sent back to their home country upon arrival if they have too many entry stamps in their passport.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:36 pm It’s not such a large appreciation of the baht from last year, hardly the reason tourists will avoid to go to Thailand.

Some tourists less willing to travel to Thailand now is more likely due to possibility of immigration troubles. Even though in reality few people encounter those issues, in the digital age bad news travels fast and makes people worry about being sent back to their home country upon arrival if they have too many entry stamps in their passport.
serious doubt that any "real tourists" (of the 39+ million) have any trouble with thai immigration.
its the ones trying to scam the system to live/work here that have troubles

Thai baht has appreciated over 7% and more) in the last year to most other western currencies
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

I’ve been a legit tourist in Thailand but have had to change my plans due to uncertainty about how many entries per calendar year are allowed. Now i must take into account that there should be a lengthy time between entries to avoid suspicions of working there. It doesn’t add to peace of mind and makes one look for other more welcoming destinations. Then again, staying in Thailand only would be boring, so it’s all for the better.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:02 pm I’ve been a legit tourist in Thailand but have had to change my plans due to uncertainty about how many entries per calendar year are allowed. Now i must take into account that there should be a lengthy time between entries to avoid suspicions of working there. It doesn’t add to peace of mind and makes one look for other more welcoming destinations. Then again, staying in Thailand only would be boring, so it’s all for the better.
try entering the USA for more than 6 months in a year on visitors' visas.

The average tourist stays about nine and a half days in Thailand.
Europeans and Americans average double that. Average so for every guy staying longer another stays shorter.
http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:52 pm
hunter8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:02 pm I’ve been a legit tourist in Thailand but have had to change my plans due to uncertainty about how many entries per calendar year are allowed. Now i must take into account that there should be a lengthy time between entries to avoid suspicions of working there. It doesn’t add to peace of mind and makes one look for other more welcoming destinations. Then again, staying in Thailand only would be boring, so it’s all for the better.

Europeans and Americans average double that. Average so for every guy staying longer another stays shorter.
The USA prints dollars. It doesn’t need income from tourists to survive like Thailand. Don’t compare apples to oranges.

So if i stay 10x longer in a year than an average tourist and changed my plans, Thailand missed 10 tourists because one me went elsewhere. I am sure it’s a drop in the bucket, just saying it may be one of the reasons there are less farang tourists now.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Counting tourists by arrivals is also kind of pointless. The accurate method would be to count tourist-days similar to how they count man-hours in production. But then there may be inconvenient truth revealed.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

hunter8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:00 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:52 pm

The USA prints dollars. It doesn’t need income from tourists to survive like Thailand. Don’t compare apples to oranges.

So if i stay 10x longer in a year than an average tourist and changed my plans, Thailand missed 10 tourists because one me went elsewhere. I am sure it’s a drop in the bucket, just saying it may be one of the reasons there are less farang tourists now.
And if you stayed 20 x longer than the average European or American then they lost out 20 x. Show me the apples and oranges. 38.28 million tourists in 2018, one less or 50,000 less perpetually erect, rich nonconformists isn t going to make a bit of difference. Pattaya is planned to be a family resort, Nana Plaza is being redeveloped, Soi Cowboy is worth more with Starbucks, McDonalds and a King Power duty free than all the hostess bars combined. A guy that wants to spend 170 days sitting in a bar on Soi Buhkao is not the desired tourist anymore, that is if he was ever a tourist. Don t let it get you down, there is always Angeles City in the Philippines and they are desperate there. Thai incomes have tripled in the past 25 years, they can be more selective than in the past, so has the Philippines but they still have an income 1/2 half that of Thais or roughly the same as where you now live.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Lol, you make too many assumptions. It’s alright, as i said it’s all for the better. Market forces will sort everything out.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

hunter8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 pm Lol, you make too many assumptions. It’s alright, as i said it’s all for the better. Market forces will sort everything out.
Haha, I am not the one who is saying because I can t spend 170 days a year in Thailand other farang have stopped going there. And I have spent 6 months a year here for many years before getting my year-long visa based on marriage. I have never had so much as a dirty look from an immigration officer, I have never been asked to see a return ticket or proof of funds and twice while getting my visitor's visa extended the immigration officer has suggested easier ways for me to stay longer. Arrive by air, get 30-day visa on arrival and have it extended ( 2000 baht each time). Take a quick trip to China, Vietnam, Malaysia by air, return and do the same process over again. Eazy peasy lemon squeezy, anybody who has cash in his jeans and shaves on a regular basis can do it no questions asked, that is if you come from any one of the 19 first world countries on the list. Market forces have already sorted things out, you have moved on to Cambodia and Pieman has moved on to Vietnam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic