University Electricity Project

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ElectricalProject20
Tourist
United States of America

University Electricity Project

Post by ElectricalProject20 »

Hello, I am a student at Grand Valley University taking a class called Design Thinking for Social Product Innovation. The goal of this class is to design a product that can fix some problems in the world. The problem I am aiming to fix is electricity generation in Cambodia, specifically in rural areas that aren’t connected to the grid, or areas that experience frequent outages. Part of the process is gaining input from people, so I am asking if you would take this survey about some of the initial ideas I’ve had. It's not very long, I just want to get some initial feedback before I start the project.

https://forms.gle/qSEWgA7SqAWfA5P6A
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: University Electricity Project

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

ElectricalProject20 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 am Hello, I am a student at Grand Valley University taking a class called Design Thinking for Social Product Innovation. The goal of this class is to design a product that can fix some problems in the world. The problem I am aiming to fix is electricity generation in Cambodia, specifically in rural areas that aren’t connected to the grid, or areas that experience frequent outages. Part of the process is gaining input from people, so I am asking if you would take this survey about some of the initial ideas I’ve had. It's not very long, I just want to get some initial feedback before I start the project.

Sorry EP20
I wish you the best - but i do not open links or forms that take straight me to my own email account.
like that ^^^ link did.
Sorry, I am a tech dummy - what is going on?
I am all for helping save the planet but you are not going to get my address.
Yours might be worth nothing, but mine is to me.

"Please help me save the world by filling in this form"
(and i will just assume you want provide me with your personal data - and so i will not clearly ask for it.
OR, I will just slip that thru hoping you won't notice the process.
Oh goody - i now have your personal data.
PS, - please don't notice that i am just an avatar. No name to trace.)

I know this is de-riguour in the commercial world, but am a little bit disturbed that this got thru the ethics committee that (presumably) approved your study. Or your supervisor, or your own ethical compass.
Is this normal in the US academic world these days - the Google model of freely harvested personal data?
What else do you want from me without mention? To help save the planet.

Apart from that, Good luck with your project - sincerely - if you are genuine.

Sorry to be so difficult - just a little thing of mine about not being a sucker with my data any more.
i would have liked to help your project as much as could.
philip.smith
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by philip.smith »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 am
ElectricalProject20 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 am Hello, I am a student at Grand Valley University taking a class called Design Thinking for Social Product Innovation. The goal of this class is to design a product that can fix some problems in the world. The problem I am aiming to fix is electricity generation in Cambodia, specifically in rural areas that aren’t connected to the grid, or areas that experience frequent outages. Part of the process is gaining input from people, so I am asking if you would take this survey about some of the initial ideas I’ve had. It's not very long, I just want to get some initial feedback before I start the project.

Sorry EP20
I wish you the best - but i do not open links or forms that take straight me to my own email account.
like that ^^^ link did.
Sorry, I am a tech dummy - what is going on?
I am all for helping save the planet but you are not going to get my address.
Yours might be worth nothing, but mine is to me.

"Please help me save the world by filling in this form"
(and i will just assume you want provide me with your personal data - and so i will not clearly ask for it.
OR, I will just slip that thru hoping you won't notice the process.
Oh goody - i now have your personal data.
PS, - please don't notice that i am just an avatar. No name to trace.)

I know this is de-riguour in the commercial world, but am a little bit disturbed that this got thru the ethics committee that (presumably) approved your study. Or your supervisor, or your own ethical compass.
Is this normal in the US academic world these days - the Google model of freely harvested personal data?
What else do you want from me without mention? To help save the planet.

Apart from that, Good luck with your project - sincerely - if you are genuine.

Sorry to be so difficult - just a little thing of mine about not being a sucker with my data any more.
i would have liked to help your project as much as could.
Is this the reason why we're told not to take drugs that tuktuk drivers offer us?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Sorry Phil, ^^^ please explain? I am a tech dummy.

I just get suss about stuff like this.
is that stupid?
philip.smith
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by philip.smith »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 am Sorry Phil, ^^^ please explain? I am a tech dummy.

is that stupid?
There's "this is asking too much personal information" and then there's "this is asking for too much personal information, the new world order..." for six paragraphs.

Also, it's hosted on Google's platform for surveys, it's legit.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Invent a 2000 megawatt electricity generating unit, capable of transmission via Bluetooth, using parts available from Home Depot, for less than $500,000,000 for delivery in 60 days (when this years cuts will be here)

Give us a shout when you are done.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

philip.smith wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 am Sorry Phil, ^^^ please explain? I am a tech dummy.

is that stupid?
There's "this is asking too much personal information" and then there's "this is asking for too much personal information, the new world order..." for six paragraphs.

Also, it's hosted on Google's platform for surveys, it's legit.
Might be legit, but if you don't want Google to know too much about you you better not use it.

If you fill in the form, Google will not only know you filled in the form, but they will have collected another bunch of metadata from you as well.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:15 am

is that stupid?
Might be legit, but if you don't want Google to know too much about you you better not use it.

If you fill in the form, Google will not only know you filled in the form, but they will have collected another bunch of metadata from you as well.
Thanks K - for that confirmation of one of my concerns. A big one.
I am just starting to get serious about this stuff.

Second Q, if anyone can help
I have never opened my email account when any link has directed me there, before closing the link first.
-so i don't know how it works.
Is the questionnaire sent to my email account when i open it?

Third Q
Google gets my name and address, my answers, and more metadata.
The avatar gets my answers, and presumably my email address.
Do I get the full ID of the avatar/researcher ?
Including his name, role and institution - as academic surveys are ethically required to provide before asking anything?

Phil - like i said, I am a tech dummy.
It seems that at least a big part of my concerns are in fact born out - if Kam is correct.
Sorry you don't like me labouring the point.

In part it was to flesh out my concerns about the things i do have some info on, To highlight that to others.
- like that academic surveys have a strict duty to explain where you personal information goes. and where your answers go. And to clearly identify themselves, before anything begins.
- and that hidden personal data harvesting has become rife, normalised. But that you can question it.

Important, actually - not New World Order conspiracy stuff.
imo
ElectricalProject20
Tourist
United States of America

Post by ElectricalProject20 »

Sorry, there was an error with the form, but it should be able to be accessed now
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:05 am
In part it was to flesh out my concerns about the things i do have some info on, To highlight that to others.
- like that academic surveys have a strict duty to explain where you personal information goes. and where your answers go. And to clearly identify themselves, before anything begins.
This is not an academic survey. Nobody able to write the word 'statistics' will accept a '(random) sample' like this. At the most it's harvesting ideas.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic