How long can it take to get an English Teaching Job in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How long can it take to get an English Teaching Job in Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Etiwel Mutero wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:32 pm
Mishmash wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:25 pm
Etiwel Mutero wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 pm
you are very correct.I will be happy to receive any advice which can help sustain my family financially
Ok I have a had a little think Mr. Mutero.
Check now
Here is a better course of action that would stand you in a good light, pay well and involve the least risk.

You are friends with a lady from UNICEF - correct?

Devise a program, along their guidelines for Cambodia.

They will advise you.

The other route of teaching English is not suitable for a cultural and thinking man like you, who can achieve better things here.

Let me know your thoughts.
I am sending you a PM for further discussions
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

myfirstnamemustbetuk wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:41 pm I always find the response to these questions quite comical. The first thing that comes to mind is "are any of these people black".

When I first came to the Kingdom, I placed one of those Facebook ads, you know the ones all the foreigners make fun of and say "get out there", "get off of Facebook and get a job". Within a day, an international school invited me in for an interview. There were four candidates, two were white and a girl from East Africa. I was hired over the three, and given a great salary.

I worked for around a year. When my contract was up, I decided to teach privately. Private teaching has been going great! I teach a few different subjects and my base rate is $30 and hour and it goes up to $45 for advanced subjects. I have no trouble getting work. There is an abundance of work, if you market yourself properly.

I do hold an American passport. Racism is alive and kicking in Cambodia; however it should not discourage you. Black people have issues anywhere in the world we go. I have quite a comfortable life. I work when I want and travel with the wife when we want.

Best of luck, don't let the negativity stop you. It's best to have a cushion, just incase things go unplanned.

Oh, one last point. There are two black principals that I know of, they are doing great for themselves.
That's fantastic..

I am happy to hear you are doing well.

I agree with everything you say - it's the real thing!

Hopefully the OP will also do well.

He has a good background and reputation.

Good selection in his friends list.

Take over the reins.

Definitely this man is not a time-waster.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

myfirstnamemustbetuk wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:41 pm I always find the response to these questions quite comical.

I have no trouble getting work.
There is an abundance of work, if you market yourself properly.
I have quite a comfortable life. I work when I want and travel with the wife when we want.
Best of luck, don't let the negativity stop you.
"..principals..."
There you go, Etiwei. That ^^^ is what I would be listening to.

Cambodia is a wonderful place for many of us "misfits" - LOL - of all types.

The good thing here is that you can do whatever you want, IF you are smart enough to make it work.
It sounds like you have a very good chance.
Best wishes!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Etiwel Mutero wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:50 pm
Etiwel Mutero wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:41 pm I am a Zimbabwean .I have a degree and a TELF certificate and currently studying towards a Post Graduate Degree in Education to be completed by end of this year.I chose Cambodia because according to my internet searches Cambodia doesnt discriminate non-native speakers on work permits.I want a work permit because it becomes possible for my spouse unlike China where I will be forced to work illegally because I am not a native speaker
There's no such thing as a spouse visa, work permit or not.
you mean if I get a work permit my spouse wont be able to stay with me in Cambodia?
No, that's not what I'm saying. It might be your spouse will fit in another category of visa.

- tourist
- looking for work
- business
- retired

But if you work here legally your spouse won't be provided a 'spouse visa' just like that. There is no 'spouse via'.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

myfirstnamemustbetuk wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:41 pm I always find the response to these questions quite comical. The first thing that comes to mind is "are any of these people black".

When I first came to the Kingdom, I placed one of those Facebook ads, you know the ones all the foreigners make fun of and say "get out there", "get off of Facebook and get a job". Within a day, an international school invited me in for an interview. There were four candidates, two were white and a girl from East Africa. I was hired over the three, and given a great salary.

I worked for around a year. When my contract was up, I decided to teach privately. Private teaching has been going great! I teach a few different subjects and my base rate is $30 and hour and it goes up to $45 for advanced subjects. I have no trouble getting work. There is an abundance of work, if you market yourself properly.

I do hold an American passport. Racism is alive and kicking in Cambodia; however it should not discourage you. Black people have issues anywhere in the world we go. I have quite a comfortable life. I work when I want and travel with the wife when we want.

Best of luck, don't let the negativity stop you. It's best to have a cushion, just incase things go unplanned.

Oh, one last point. There are two black principals that I know of, they are doing great for themselves.
So what would you advise the OP to do?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic