Shithanoukville!!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Shithanoukville!!!!

Post by Duncan »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm
Clemen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:14 pm
Clemen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:03 pm Please, the accepted name is "Shitsville".
Also, you say Chinese prostitutes as if it were a bad thing.
The boards to get to the shops is because they're widening the roads.
I find the Chinese shipowners to be both friendly and fair. 1500 riel of laundry detergent costs 1500 riel, just like the package says. Two beers, with a "1 can" ring pull is 2000 riel, not $1 like the shop next door.

That's good news for car owners, now all we need is good news for the pedestrians with wider footpaths to be built. Cities that are people friendly put people first, not cars first and I think a few cities in Europe are already in that '' people friendly '' mode.
I love to walk. I don't know if pedestrians will be accommodated. Logistically it would seem difficult as shops have lost their outdoor seating, moto parking, and garbage storage areas.
Plan at least is that pedestrians will have their own walk way. And bicyclist have their own path too where there is room.

Road towards Independence beach

Render:
Work in progress last week:

The sokha kink render:
Work in progress:

Also behind Otres beach the sand road is being converted into promenade / bicycle path and car access will be blocked.

How will it end up in reality. We have to wait and see...

No need to wait. I'm pretty sure the sky's will be bluer and the trees will be bigger than in those pics.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Clemen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:03 pm Please, the accepted name is "Shitsville".
I find the Chinese shipowners to be both friendly and fair. 1500 riel of laundry detergent costs 1500 riel, just like the package says. Two beers, with a "1 can" ring pull is 2000 riel, not $1 like the shop next door.
I have no issue with the Chinese, they're people just like anyone else.
Apologies if I misunderstand, but some of what you remark on sounds like supporting this disgrace.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm
Road towards Independence beach

Render:

The sokha kink render:
Is there really a chance that Sihanoukville will become like this?

The last news talk about buildings not finished and deserted due to the online gambling restrictions.

I'm afraid of a chinese ghost town like below
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 pm I wasn’t gobsmacked; a well worn phrase- I’m not surprised, but still have the capacity to be disappointed.

What few reasonable roads that existed just over a year ago are now gone. It’s simply a mass, unmade building site all over, more than ever, which a year ago was slightly hard to imagine. We stopped there three days ago for all of 3 hours, before catching the motorboat to Koh Rong.
Chinese labourers simply doing whatever they feel, wherever.
A nearby bar that may once have been a fun and lively place is surely destined for utter ruin.
Just about every shop that I visited had some makeshift piece of timber over a trench to access it.
Stopped in at a Pharmacy- turned out to be run by a Chinese, with some seriously tired looking Khmer girl doing clean up. I was made to feel totally unwelcome by the Chinese proprietor who seemed suspicious of my every move. I only wanted a spare baby bottle!
And it appears that the military (the PRC’s Khmer garrison of road building) are directly involved in the shambles. Or are they all moonlighting, in uniform, using government trucks?

Sadly, it seems one must transit shitsville to get to the islands.
I hope that at least you were able to get the spare baby bottle!
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:04 pm
I have no issue with the Chinese, they're people just like anyone else.
Apologies if I misunderstand, but some of what you remark on sounds like supporting this disgrace.
I do not. The Chinese prostitutes bit was meant in jest. The whole thing is a disaster and may well be studied in the future as how not to expand a city.
I will not however be part of the Chinese bashing I witness.
I'm now on my eighth? (I think it's eight, could be more) local shop where I buy the normal mundanities, soap, eggs, beer. Iirc three of my previous shops either lost their lease or sold up, the others all kept on raising their prices. Wherever I am I find a shop that has what I need, see if they're the kind of people I want to do business with, then make a relationship with them. In snooky the prices kept going up and the service kept going down. Now my local is run by the Chinese, they charge me the same price as they charge everyone else, they greet me by name when I come in and thank me when I leave. A stark contrast to the previous shop where they started charging $1.50 for a $1.00 phone top up for instance.
People are people, I'm American (by birth) and I experience prejudice both positive and negative because of it. I think that's bullshit, if you're going to judge people place of birth is not a valid criteria.
Do I like what's happened in snooky? Of course not. Do I blame "The Chinese" no.
There is no time when xenophobia isn't ugly.
up to you...
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Sihanoukville should be a place where the Khmer are the main winners in business. After all its Cambodia!! Not China!!

Its a mess on almost every level.

This experiment had backfired and will not be an easy fix.
leitfaden
Expatriate
Germany

Post by leitfaden »

Is there really a chance that Sihanoukville will become like this?

The last news talk about buildings not finished and deserted due to the online gambling restrictions.

[/quote]

or perhaps you'd like it better looking like this ghost project:

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kinetic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:22 pm Is there really a chance that Sihanoukville will become like this?

Sorta looks like that already on the main road just before PP airport...actually, the towers are even closer..
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

The very large project near me (30+ floors, 2 hectares, international school, condo, etc) is essentially abandoned. They had a full time workforce of about 80 people (all Chinese, except some part time laborers who moved bricks and such), everything from architects to cooks. I became friends with their maintenance man (Chinese). A few moved to other projects, most went home. There is a skeleton crew of three (Khmer, plus security) who look after it until something changes and they start building again.
Many other projects continue, some have stopped.
The development will go on, this is a temporary setback.
up to you...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Talking about empty buildings what about all the Borays built or being built on the outskirts of pp no way will they ever be occupied
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic