How long can it take to get an English Teaching Job in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Etiwel Mutero
Tourist

How long can it take to get an English Teaching Job in Cambodia?

Post by Etiwel Mutero »

I am planning to come and work in Cambodia in August 2020 and I want to know how long can it take for me to get an English teaching job in Cambodia.I am told the most effective way is to do a door to door search.I also want to know how much can one earn as an English teacher and how much are the rentals and other expenses.I am black and also wonder if I will be disadvantaged on racial grounds.I hope I will find someone to answer my questions.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How long can it take to get an English Teaching Job in Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Etiwel Mutero wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:41 pm I am planning to come and work in Cambodia in August 2020 and I want to know how long can it take for me to get an English teaching job in Cambodia.I am told the most effective way is to do a door to door search.I also want to know how much can one earn as an English teacher and how much are the rentals and other expenses.I am black and also wonder if I will be disadvantaged on racial grounds.I hope I will find someone to answer my questions.
You WILL be disadvantaged being Black, this unfortunately is an ingrained cultural norm here.

In addition, Black Africans have a notorious reputation for being involved in the drug-trade and various other scams.

Sadly, this is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

The airport may or may not grant you a visa. The odds are statistically low if you are from an African Nation.

The odds are better if you hold a Western Passport from the US, Canada, EU, UK, NZ or AUS

Officially the Constitution forbids discrimination, but in reality the Government has decided to act starting at points of entry, on the basis of Social Order and Discipline.

There ARE schools that employ Black Gentlemen though the salaries are pitiful.

If you are prepared for a tough ride, among a population that actively dislikes black people then chance your arm.

In short, you will be as welcome as I would be in Afghanistan, although the locals will not go so far, only smile and take your cash.

Better get a job first online and ALL your documents including your country's police clearance certificates, along with a stack of cash and a return ticket.

That's as far as I can help you.

Other posters may have different ideas for you.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Despite what Mishmash has said, which I believe pretty much sums it up, I know that there are black teachers here. I have known a couple myself, but I' haven't come across any black female teachers - that's not to say they don't exist, it's just that I personally haven't come across any.

I'm just saying this to point out that despite the negative (but largely true) things that Mishmash said, it's not impossible.

Good luck.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:13 pm Despite what Mishmash has said, which I believe pretty much sums it up, I know that there are black teachers here. I have known a couple myself, but I' haven't come across any black female teachers - that's not to say they don't exist, it's just that I personally haven't come across any.

I'm just saying this to point out that despite the negative (but largely true) things that Mishmash said, it's not impossible.

Good luck.
Yes there ARE schools and there ARE good Black people., like you I have met some and even helped one secure employment.

It's a tough ride but doable, if you have the will, determination and focus, and of course the right reasons or cause.

If it's for money - there are better options.

If it's for genuine pedagogy then it's good.
Etiwel Mutero
Tourist

Post by Etiwel Mutero »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:20 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:13 pm Despite what Mishmash has said, which I believe pretty much sums it up, I know that there are black teachers here. I have known a couple myself, but I' haven't come across any black female teachers - that's not to say they don't exist, it's just that I personally haven't come across any.

Good luck.
Yes there ARE schools and there ARE good Black people., like you I have met some and even helped one secure employment.

It's a tough ride but doable, if you have the will, determination and focus, and of course the right reasons or cause.

If it's for money - there are better options.

If it's for genuine pedagogy then it's good.
"If its for money-there are better options' Yes its for money,what could be the best options
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:13 pm I' haven't come across any black female teachers - that's not to say they don't exist, it's just that I personally haven't come across any.
I know a few and some are doing quite well for themselves.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Etiwel Mutero wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:23 pm
"If its for money-there are better options' Yes its for money,what could be the best options
OK..

Where exactly are you coming from (i.e country)?

Background.

CV.

That's the first step.

What made you think of Cambodia is the next obvious question?
Etiwel Mutero
Tourist

Post by Etiwel Mutero »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:31 pm
Etiwel Mutero wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:23 pm
OK..

Where exactly are you coming from (i.e country)?

Background.

CV.

That's the first step.

What made you think of Cambodia is the next obvious question?
I am a Zimbabwean .I have a degree and a TELF certificate and currently studying towards a Post Graduate Degree in Education to be completed by end of this year.I chose Cambodia because according to my internet searches Cambodia doesnt discriminate non-native speakers on work permits.I want a work permit because it becomes possible for my spouse unlike China where I will be forced to work illegally because I am not a native speaker
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

What do you have a degree in? Can you teach anything in addition to English?
Etiwel Mutero
Tourist

Post by Etiwel Mutero »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:44 pm What do you have a degree in? Can you teach anything in addition to English?

I have a degree in Records and Archives Management.I can teach Accounts, Communication ,Business Communication, Introduction to Computers, Marketing, Library Science etc even Science
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic