Two Men Arrested for Poaching 109 Parrots

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Two Men Arrested for Poaching 109 Parrots

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yes Hill-billed KFu, ^^^ that ties in with my understanding of the situation in Oz generally.
Wildlife poaching for export is becoming more common again, and the culprits are from the new Asian immigrants.

NB, This is not an anti-immigration rave, or anti anyone. Just the facts as i understand them -
I don't say this lightly, but it is the Vietnamese who excel in this better than anybody.
Both in Oz and in Cambodia.
They are hungry/energetic, cunning/smart, they know nature really well. The trade is deeply imbedded their heritage. They have the networks to the markets. Their criminal groups are smarter than most. They place little value on these kind of laws. They can raise the capital to do it well - and big.

Along the coast in Cambodia I have seen the changes as the vietnamese have settled in more, and really gotten to work on the fish, birds and bush.

They are just so flocking efficient at this sort of stuff.
and hard working and ambitious and dedicated to the task.
Vacuum cleaners. The world's best vacuum cleaners.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Two Men Arrested for Poaching 109 Parrots

Post by hanno »

Mishmash wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:17 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:33 pm
hanno wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:21 pm In the years I have been birding in Cambodia, I have seen a huge decline in parrot numbers. Seeing hundreds or even thousands at ATT was fairly easy. Alas, no more.
I bet 20 years ago and before this was an animal mecca. I like to bird around here, where is ATT?
Yeah where is ATT..
Ang Trapaing Thmor. A couple of hours west of Siem Reap.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic