More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by Clemen »

I think we can all agree that snooky was never a "jewel" a Swarovski maybe.
I enjoyed it's quiet relaxed vibe and nice beaches the first time I visited. The city itself, utterly without charm.
I live there, I love to swim, I think it's been more than two years since I've done so. Why? Because if I wanted to immerse myself in black water I could just jump in our septic and save the costs of new fork seals for my moto. Rip snooky, you weren't the best, or the brightest but you were more than the demented red headed step child you are now.
up to you...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Clemen wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 pm I think we can all agree that snooky was never a "jewel" a Swarovski maybe.
I enjoyed it's quiet relaxed vibe and nice beaches the first time I visited. The city itself, utterly without charm.
I live there, I love to swim, I think it's been more than two years since I've done so. Why? Because if I wanted to immerse myself in black water I could just jump in our septic and save the costs of new fork seals for my moto. Rip snooky, you weren't the best, or the brightest but you were more than the demented red headed step child you are now.
^ YES, all this, but I didn't mind the lack of charm, and the beach(es) made it worthwhile. Now, there is no charm and no beaches. :evil:
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

Snooky was never a jewel, but now it is peat bog.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Yes, I did not care that it had all the architectural charm of Kampong Speu.
The beaches and water were clean, good food was to be had. I went to relax, and at the time you could.
up to you...
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

The interesting thing here is that the (western) tourism industry is turning its back on Sihanoukville, with descriptions like It also gets into the international press, e.g. in the Sydney Morning Herald: "the single most unpleasant place I have ever had the misfortune of visiting" and the conclusion: "The best thing about it was leaving it." (https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/sihan ... 52evw.html)

And what next destination(s) are going to be ruined? Kampot (already happening partly)? Koh Kong? Phnom Penh (also, already happening)?
No one gives a sh*t as long as the pockets are being filled.
Until it's too late, of course.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Facebook apologises for rude mistranslation of Xi Jinping's name
The error, which caused Xi's name to appear as "Mr S***hole" when translated from Burmese into English, came to light on the second day of the much-touted trip where Xi and Myanmar's de facto civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi signed dozens of agreements covering enormous Beijing-backed infrastructure plans.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugy6HSWexSL4gZmzDKp4AaABCQ
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:40 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:38 am The demise of Sihanoukville: Why we no longer travel there
written by Intrepid Travel January 15, 2020

If you want to see the face of overtourism, take a plane to Phnom Penh and catch a bumpy five-hour bus to Sihanoukville – a once-sleepy town on a little peninsula in the Gulf of Thailand. Sihanoukville is the jewel of Cambodia’s tourism industry. Or at least it used to be.

If you visited Sihanoukville five years ago, you might not recognise it today. The town has been swamped by foreign investment and tourism, mauled by construction. In fact, we’ve just made the difficult decision to stop visiting Sihanoukville altogether. As of this year, it no longer appears on Intrepid’s Cambodian itineraries, which is a terrible shame on so many levels.

We started coming here back in 2007. At that time, Sihanoukville was still a blip on the average tourist’s radar. Serendipity Beach drew a steady crowd of unshaven backpackers, and there were a few bungalows popping up near Otres Beach, but most tour buses still made a bee-line north from Phnom Penh, shuttling visitors back and forth to Siem Reap. Cambodia’s coastline was kind of ignored, especially compared to Thailand’s archipelago, pulsing and flashing just across the Gulf. Sihanoukville was growing, but slowly. If people knew how good it was, they weren’t telling anybody.
https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventur ... noukville/
Who the fuck are Intrepid Travel? If they started serving Shv in 2007 they were extremely late to the party, rather than the first. They're also two years too late to write articles whingeing about it being a building site. Thank you, next.
Intrepid Travel is an Australian “adventure” group travel company based in Melbourne that rakes in about $300 million annually. They are hoping to bring in $1 billion annually in the next decade. And looking at Chinese tourism to help them get to that figure which is one reason why you don’t see the word “Chinese” or “China” written anywhere in that article.

Intrepid grouped with Tui travel a few years back but have now broken up. They formed a company called “Peak Adventure Travel” whose portfolio of 22 travel companies they own now includes Intrepid Travel, Geckos Adventure, Peregrine Adventures, Adventure Tours Australia, Urban Adventures and The Family Adventure Co.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:38 am The demise of Sihanoukville: Why we no longer travel there
written by Intrepid Travel January 15, 2020
Cambodia’s coastline was kind of ignored
If people knew how good it was, they weren’t telling anybody.

https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventur ... noukville/
Some of the best part are still there, and still ignored. Too hard for the packaged tour operators.
And i am still keeping quiet about it - to multinational "small-tourism" operators, like Intrepid who acknowledge in this piece that they were partly responsible for trashing S'ville.
All groovy nice sentimental selling points and crocodile smiles.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

offroadscholar wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:39 pm Facebook apologises for rude mistranslation of Xi Jinping's name
The error, which caused Xi's name to appear as "Mr S***hole" when translated from Burmese into English, came to light on the second day of the much-touted trip where Xi and Myanmar's de facto civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi signed dozens of agreements covering enormous Beijing-backed infrastructure plans.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugy6HSWexSL4gZmzDKp4AaABCQ
What mistranslation - looks good to me :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic