Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Post by Mishmash »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:52 pm 'Eli the bike guy ' has just put a video up on You Tube in last hour.

Best you all watch.

The video is clear that Vietnam has no interest in Retired people and sees little gain in having them. They want investors , and certain skills only. Also visa extentions do not seem likely.

Bye Bye Vietnam!!!!!!

Vung Tau will suffer and many businesses focussed on service to the expat community will likely close.
The system is designed to make it easier for businesses, so how will they suffer?
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Business focused on expats in Vung Tau ( and that quite a few) will see their income drop. For many that will mean closing.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Here's Eli's visa update video. Sorry to report there's no good news. I also think he's right about the slim possibility of a retirement visa in VN. His source was an immigration officer.

Again, I don't know how to embed a YT video. Some Mod can edit this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SROXtridD6c

[Mod edit: just copy the YT URL from your browser and paste in your post...no need to embed..easy peasey]

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:13 pm Business focused on expats in Vung Tau ( and that quite a few) will see their income drop. For many that will mean closing.
Sure will. Many guys have short-term visas, going back and forth to Oz or popping over to Phnom Penh. They will mostly leave. This will kill just about every bar and cafe along the front beach strip in VT and empty many rooms along Phan Chu Trinh and elsewhere. It will be devastating.

Based on what I know now, I have cancelled plans to move back to VT.
ElitheBikeGuy
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by ElitheBikeGuy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:23 pm Sure will. Many guys have short-term visas, going back and forth to Oz or popping over to Phnom Penh. They will mostly leave. This will kill just about every bar and cafe along the front beach strip in VT and empty many rooms along Phan Chu Trinh and elsewhere. It will be devastating.
I expect similar results in Danang. The city gets plenty of Korean and Chinese tourists to keep it going, but I’m guessing the long-term westerners (young and old) are going to look elsewhere. I find it quite sad actually.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Subic Bay Freeport in Zambales Philippines could be a good option ?
Its heavily promoted on a youtube channel called Property Club.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

The word is out in Vung Tau about the visa changes later in year.

Main discussion in the expat bars and coffee shops.

Local Vietnamese who own hotels and businesses focussed on Expat market know whats in the wind also. They are not saying much publically but it wont be lost on them the negative impact on the horizon.

Predict expats start drifting away in next few months.

The trickle down effect will be quite wide.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

offroadscholar wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:45 pm Subic Bay Freeport in Zambales Philippines could be a good option ?

What's the visa situation in the Philippines? Is it frying pan to the fire situation or is Philippines a viable option for long term residents?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm Here's Eli's visa update video. Sorry to report there's no good news. I also think he's right about the slim possibility of a retirement visa in VN. His source was an immigration officer.

Again, I don't know how to embed a YT video. Some Mod can edit this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SROXtridD6c

[Mod edit: just copy the YT URL from your browser and paste in your post...no need to embed..easy peasey]

Just watched the video. It makes you realise just how backward and badly run Cambodia is compared to, well, anywhere round here. The traffic and driving is still very dodgy, and it all happens much faster than sleepy ole PP, so that is a benefit I suppose.

It makes perfect sense for Vietnam to promote and welcome people with a future; in business, technology and investment. They are not interested in people only with a past. I can't blame them for not putting up with retirees gaming the tourist visa system, none of our home countries would tolerate that.

Sooner or later Cambodia will catch on and make being here long term a nice little earner for the government, especially when your options locally have been severely limited or curtailed completely.

If you have an EU passport (or can get one), there are places in Europe that will start to compare very favourably with SE Asia, as a retirement option, especially if you don't smoke, or drink too much, are addicted to 'ladies of the night' and enjoy walking and cycling.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:57 am
offroadscholar wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:45 pm Subic Bay Freeport in Zambales Philippines could be a good option ?

What's the visa situation in the Philippines? Is it frying pan to the fire situation or is Philippines a viable option for long term residents?
Going by the government website its looks quite doable
https://www.srrv.com.ph/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA ... 1LEALw_wcB
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic