Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 pm Fox is the loyal opposition to the mainstream media who tell people what to think.
It saddens me when seemingly intelligent posters fall hook-line-and sinker for obvious propaganda. None of the news sources are impartial, so stop deluding yourself into thinking that any one of them has any more merit than another. The truth is often hard to discern and you may have to check many opposing sources to get a bigger picture. Please stop parroting propaganda, it's just annoying and makes me wonder if you have one single original thought in your head.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am what is meant by 'smart city', can you give some examples?
or is it code for 'surveillance city'
Some real life examples of every day items that exhibit Smart City characteristics:

1. Google maps or Waze: both apps show real time traffic situations and help drivers find the quickest way to their destination

2. In parts of the New York City metropolitan area, residents can reach the police through an app, and police are known to respond quickly and efficiently afterwards. This can help with noisy neighbors or a suspicious person snooping around the neighborhood.

I've linked an article that provides a decent definition: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/sm ... ons-guide/
"There is a range of definitions of a smart city, but the consensus is that smart cities utilize IoT sensors, actuators, and technology to connect components across the city. This connects every layer of a city, from the air to the street to underground. It's when you can derive data from everything that is connected and utilize it to improve the lives of citizens and improve communication between citizens and the government that a city becomes a smart city, said Esmeralda Swartz, head of strategy and marketing of the software business unit for Ericsson."

For some countries, like China and Laos, this can result in a surveillance state. For others, incredible convenience for residents. For most, it's a mix.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 am
Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am what is meant by 'smart city', can you give some examples?
Some real life examples of every day items that exhibit Smart City characteristics:

1. Google maps or Waze: both apps show real time traffic situations and help drivers find the quickest way to their destination

2. In parts of the New York City metropolitan area, residents can reach the police through an app, and police are known to respond quickly and efficiently afterwards. This can help with noisy neighbors or a suspicious person snooping around the neighborhood.

I've linked an article that provides a decent definition: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/sm ... ons-guide/
"There is a range of definitions of a smart city, but the consensus is that smart cities utilize IoT sensors, actuators, and technology to connect components across the city. This connects every layer of a city, from the air to the street to underground. It's when you can derive data from everything that is connected and utilize it to improve the lives of citizens and improve communication between citizens and the government that a city becomes a smart city, said Esmeralda Swartz, head of strategy and marketing of the software business unit for Ericsson."

For some countries, like China and Laos, this can result in a surveillance state. For others, incredible convenience for residents. For most, it's a mix.
Techi is right about Waze... many people use it here ( NYC) .. including some friends. I been in the car and we have it on. It gives real time traffic info and the police... so you know to slow down.. funny the way he described Waze and the way we use Waze... when driving its to AVOID police.. not find them..lol.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Sorry about the confusion BklynBoy... I didn't mean that Waze helps people find police; I was referring in point 2, to other apps that connect citizens with police in a rather anonymous way. Below is a Wall Street Journal article about one such app, CS-NYC. I've heard good things about it from NY friends.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nypd-deplo ... 1568329431
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 am For some countries, like China and Laos, this can result in a surveillance state. For others, incredible convenience for residents. For most, it's a mix.
'convenience', but who's, ultimately?
what's the likely outcome for cambodia?

monstra mihi bona!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"… to make decisions, or allow your decision-making to be influenced by a third party who has a fraction of the information that you have, overall isn’t a great strategy.”

and that's from a master puppeteer herself
Marissa Mayer — former CEO, Yahoo; cofounder and CEO, Lumi Labs

So you put Siri and Alexa et al into your home so she ^^^ and Mark Zukerberg, and Jeff Bezos and Jack Ma can know everything about you - so you can hand your decision making over to them more completely. Become the full zombi.
And Donald Trump and Al Putin and HE can tune in too, if they want. (and they do)

Hey, i just downloaded the latest App! and bought the latest surveillance device for the family!!
I'm serious! - about us and the kids doin' the Full Zombi. What's piddling privacy, and basic principles of freedom, compared to that kinda convenience?!!

I'm staggered, 'astonished beyond words.
I don't believe people would do that. 'Doesn't compute.
I shoot myself in the head at the wonder of it all. chuckle. I do.

Not sure what this song has to to with it, not much -except it mentions words like loose, and freedom..
It's very soulful too, so a lot of people won't be able to get their device to interpret it for them.
probably good they won't ever know what they lost...

Personally, i would prefer to be busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' for a train
feeling near as faded as my jeans..
than have Siri sitting in my shiny groovy high-tech pad sucking in absolutely everything about the old me - and pulling the levers for my newly-minted, super-efficient, zombi life.
But then, we all know i am very old fashioned and nearly dead anyway. LOL. Thank the heavens.

"...and Siri shared the secrets of maa soul
La la lahh, la la lahh.
la la , lu lu lahh ...
hey hey hey, now it's just Siri and me.."
(soulfully)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Uhhh...

So I take it you don’t PassApp or Grab for no-haggle pricing and still use Mr. Tuk Tuk and haggle for each trip? Or your better half doesn’t use the ABA app to WING money?

Tech is already in Cambodia. It will incrementally increase over time. It’s up to the people on how it’s used.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

those aren't really smart city though, just companies using technology

but even in the case of tuktuk apps, I've noticed it's now more difficult to just call a tuktuk manually

the key for me is what are the hidden costs and consequences of some convenience
and can i realistically opt out if i don't like the trade-off

monstra mihi bona!
DonVonttila
Tourist
Spain

Post by DonVonttila »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am bah keep it for the racetrack and road trips
cars have no place in cities

what is meant by 'smart city', can you give some examples?
Obviously "smart city" is a code for totalitarism its showing so clearly in My home country, dont ruin Cambodia to please 😂💔😀, but i Guess i wont be to Long now before Cambodia also adopt a "social credit Score system". After all its turning into China 2.0 :( .
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 am
techietraveller84 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 am For some countries, like China and Laos, this can result in a surveillance state. For others, incredible convenience for residents. For most, it's a mix.
'convenience', but who's, ultimately?
what's the likely outcome for cambodia?
Well, that's what the discussion is about. I don't see an agenda from techie, only a conversation starter.
So, what are your thoughts?
Personally I'm a reluctant Luddite at heart. I am completely against a surveillance state, but it's becoming the norm. Since I see no way to avoid this how can we essentially co-opt it to make city planning (for instance) more efficient?
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic