Cell phone question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
gadfly23
Tourist
United States of America

Cell phone question

Post by gadfly23 »

Moving to PP in March or so. I am going to need a new cell phone. Am I better off buying an unlocked one in the States or should I just wait and pick one up in Thailand/Cambodia?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Cell phone question

Post by newkidontheblock »

Depends on the cell phone you want to use in Cambodia.

The price for the same model cellphone is more or less the same as in Western counties as it is in Cambodia.

Good luck.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There is a booming market in used phones here, which might be a bit cheaper, if that's what you're after. Also, cheaper Chinese brands such as Oppo are more available here. As NKotB said, it depends what phone you're after. New phones that you can buy in the west are about the same price.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I have two USA unlocked phones with me. One phone has the SIMs for where Im not living (right now the USA), the other is my daily phone (Thailand). When I arrive in Siem in two weeks, Ill put the Cambodia SIM in my daily phone and the Thai SIM in the "not living" phone. Then switch again when Im safe and sound back in the World. My USA SIM is a Ting, $6 a month, so the minute Im back I have my phone ready to go. I will need a Thai SIM for banking and trips to Thailand.

I buy my phones in the USA. Other than the fact that you can buy Oppos and Miis or whatever in Thailand cheap, I prefer the higher grade Nokias, Samsungs or Motos for my daily phone, and they are cheaper in the states than Thailand altho I havent looked at Phones in Cambodia.

There is a wholesale cell phone place on the 3rd floor (I think) of MBK where the prices are pretty good on those Oppos and Huaweiis. You will see the crowds of folks buying.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

WildA wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:21 pm I have two USA unlocked phones with me. One phone has the SIMs for where Im not living (right now the USA), the other is my daily phone (Thailand). When I arrive in Siem in two weeks, Ill put the Cambodia SIM in my daily phone and the Thai SIM in the "not living" phone. Then switch again when Im safe and sound back in the World. My USA SIM is a Ting, $6 a month, so the minute Im back I have my phone ready to go. I will need a Thai SIM for banking and trips to Thailand.

I buy my phones in the USA. Other than the fact that you can buy Oppos and Miis or whatever in Thailand cheap, I prefer the higher grade Nokias, Samsungs or Motos for my daily phone, and they are cheaper in the states than Thailand altho I havent looked at Phones in Cambodia.

There is a wholesale cell phone place on the 3rd floor (I think) of MBK where the prices are pretty good on those Oppos and Huaweiis. You will see the crowds of folks buying.
American Millwall fan? Very incongruous! :stir:

To add my view, use the unlocked phones you have. If you need another in CAM, you can pick up relatively inexpensive Chinese brand phones to cover your purpose.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Nah, dude, Ive been coming to Asia for a long time and listening to all the folks from lesser countries whinge about the USA (especially when I tip $1
on a $2 checkbin).....so I figured it would be the symbol for my fav chant, suitably modified of course:

No one likes us, no one likes us,
No one likes us, we don't care,
We are Yankees, fucking Yankees,
Fat rich Yankees, from the States....
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

WildA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:08 am No one likes us, no one likes us,
Reminds me of the Chinese that people constantly bitch about(with good reason). You have some perfectly lovely Chinese people. Then you have the assholes that no one likes, but they don't give a shit and say fuck you, they're rich, getting fatter, and China is the best...
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

WildA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:08 am
Nah, dude, Ive been coming to Asia for a long time and listening to all the folks from lesser countries whinge about the USA (especially when I tip $1
on a $2 checkbin).....so I figured it would be the symbol for my fav chant, suitably modified of course:

No one likes us, no one likes us,
Is ir not suppoosed to rhyme? One advabntgae of buying here is the availability of dual sim models which are not always available back home
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

Personally, I always used to buy refurbished phones off eBay from verified sellers. Never had any problems with them and affordable especially if in the states you can check it and return it easy if any issues pop up. I bought an LG G7 for $140 so not bad.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:56 am Personally, I always used to buy refurbished phones off eBay from verified sellers. Never had any problems with them and affordable especially if in the states you can check it and return it easy if any issues pop up. I bought an LG G7 for $140 so not bad.
I had a similar question. A friend of mine is asking me to get him an iphone from the states and i am totally unfamiliar with locked vs unlocked.

If reading your post correctly, I can just purchase an unlocked phone and it would work in Cambodia? I do NOT WANT to be responsible for the dudes phone if doesn't work in Cambodia. Honestly, I want him to send me the money-- why should i buy his fucking phone. That's another issue but basically if I bring an UNLOCKED PHONE to Cambodia-- then the phone will be able to work?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic