Cambodia'sGrey car market

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Cambodia'sGrey car market

Post by phuketrichard »

FUCKKKKKK
The saleswomen dutifully point out the new models, repeating from memory: the new Range Rovers are priced from $195,000 to $250,000, they say, while the 2018 BMW sits at around $130,000.

It seems like a good deal: the same Range Rover model at the country’s official dealership would sell for a minimum of $255,000. And, unlike at the official dealership, there is room yet to haggle at Kim Srun Premium Auto.

The hefty tax meant to be levied on all new car imports – which currently stands at roughly 138% of the base price of the car – doesn’t apply to these imports.
Cambodia is the only country in ASEAN to still allow used cars to be imported. As a result, about 80% of the cars on the market in the Kingdom are old and used, each charged a minimal rate at the border on the basis of their age, with tax rates dropping for every additional year of age on the car.
In 2017 alone, the US shipped 29,000 cars to Cambodia, or more than half of the total volume of cars in the Cambodian market. These cars, in many instances, had been caught in hurricane flood waters or involved in wrecks, written off by insurance providers and sold to exporters at US auctions. Every year after a major flood in North America, industry insiders say, car shipments from the US spike, and waterlogged vehicles end up in Cambodian car shops.
https://southeastasiaglobe.com/thrifty- ... GH4CLI13q4

top of the line RR in the states;
P525 HSE
Base MSRP from $105,950*
The P525 HSE model adds a 518 HP V8 engine with Dynamic Response, 21" 6 Spoke 'Style 6002' alloy wheels and other luxury performance features.
this is in a country where

Salaries in Cambodia range between 440,553 KHR (US 110) per month (minimum salary) to 14,412,863 KHR,( $3,600) per month (maximum salary).
The minimum salary in Phnom Penh, Cambodia is currently at $ 182 US dollars per month as of January 2019. This minimum wage is set for those working in the garment industry and is valid for all country.

The median salary is 3,385,021 KHR per month,( US$ 846) which means that half (50%) of the population are earning less than 3,385,021 KHR while the other half are earning more than 3,385,021 KHR.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia'sGrey car market

Post by John Bingham »

Who is writing this nonsense about "maximum salaries"? Nobody is buying a new Range Rover on a $3600 salary, and there are thousands of them on the roads.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

SEA Globe article was posted on CEO last year.
newsworthy/corruption-stifles-cambodia- ... 29548.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

My brother had a 76 Triumph TR6..he spun out and it needed some repairs..in USA..there was some kind of strike in UK and the mechanic could not get parts.
It was a beautiful blue car..
.the shop was down in the river bottoms and a 100 year flood came ...he got the car back finally not knowing it had been underwater..it was a piece of junk after that.
You take the VIN..vehicle ID number and look up online the history of the vehicle now..
So, it makes sense they would dump the hurricane damaged and other wrecks off on Cambodia.
Insurance companies may be totalling these cars..paying the owner and some dude is getting them for peanuts at auction and doing a little work and shipping them and getting premium money.
Toss in stolen ..chop shop rebuilds...
I am glad to learn about this.
My brother lives in Africa and his company buys him a nice ride..but, he gets something a few years old due to 100% tax.
I don't know about the range rovers other than a few days before I got evicted in Sihanoukville..there was a black one and a white one parked outside the apartment on the ground floor....The chinese who bought the building...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

laughable shill piece for the official auto franchises and royal

monstra mihi bona!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I was walking along Monivong a couple of days ago and saw this red car in a sales yard. I like red cars,,,,,
maybe I will buy it.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:46 pm I was walking along Monivong a couple of days ago and saw this red car in a sales yard. I like red cars,,,,,
maybe I will buy it.
I can see you cruising down Monivong in this... :hattip:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Phnom Poon wrote:laughable shill piece for the official auto franchises and royal
Only a “laughable shill piece” until something fails in the ‘used’ (rebuilt) car that would have never failed in a brand new car that results in injury or death.

Do dealers routinely allow potential buyers to put one of these new ‘used’ cars up for full inspection - running the VIN, under the hood, under the jacks - underbody exam, electrical harness testing, full OBDII and TPMS scans?

Until the Cambodian mindset chooses safety over low price (the 135% import tax doesn’t help), sadly don’t expect change to occur.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:46 pm Image
how long has that been sitting there?
it looks like you could write your name on any part of it

of course more inspections are required to avoid zombie imports and frankencars
but to push for a ban on used imports, and bleat about 'unofficial' new imports is clearly self-serving
the article suggests the grey importers are 'connected'
that may be true, but the official franchises are hardly unconnected
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

use autocheck.com for the vn number and car history till it left the states
one reason to use CMN motors, if ur looking a spending over $8,000, worth every bit of the $300...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic