Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
SueOriginal
Tourist
Latvia

Re: Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Post by SueOriginal »

ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 pm But it cannot get much worse than Thailand, where I unhappily am now.
What you dislike in Thailand, except stricter visa policy and some abstract philosophical things like dual pricing principle?

I would like to stay in Thailand 12 months , but visa requirements for nod as for my case is very difficult. I lived there 7 years, was so much happy about everything.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Thanks for info on Malaysia visas. Take them of the list!!!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

SueOriginal wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:24 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 pm But it cannot get much worse than Thailand, where I unhappily am now.
What you dislike in Thailand, except stricter visa policy and some abstract philosophical things like dual pricing principle?

I would like to stay in Thailand 12 months , but visa requirements for nod as for my case is very difficult. I lived there 7 years, was so much happy about everything.
I can get a visa extension, no problem. But I refuse to fall in line with the ripoff health care package that's a complete sham: vastly overpriced and thread-bare. I can do better in Vietnam from the same company (Pacific Cross Vietnam) and get worldwide coverage, or insurance from FV Hospital in D7 HCMC at a fraction of the Thai price, about 10,000 baht.

Equally important, in the five months I've been back in Bangkok, I've watched things I buy all the time go up and up in price. Wine is outrageously priced and other liquors vastly overpriced. Cigs are five times the VN price. To the more prosaic, haircuts at the same place have gone from 100, to 120 and now 150 baht in just a few months. Croissants, ready meals, coffee, just keep going up. In fact, prices should be going down as the Thai baht can buy a lot more.

And I feel much more welcome in Vietnam, or Cambodia, should I choose the latter. Anyway, it may all be moot as VN is temporarily, I hope, putting the squeeze on tourist and long-term visas. Will see in the spring.

Edit: An Aussie pepper for $8.50US at Villa back in November. Saw one recently that was 340 baht/$11.30US. Yup, price increase. And no, I did not buy it but I and a friend had a good laugh.

timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

SueOriginal wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:18 pm
Malaysia is another country to consider as seem keen to get those over 60 years of age to come and stay.
I am sorry, but you are so much wrong, there is no retirement visa except MM2H program that comes with a largest financial commitments in the region, and it takes a year or so for an approval.
No retirement folks, incl. those in waiting if MM2H approval, are eligible to use anything than 90 days tourism pass(visa) - and immigration absolutely don't like back to back visas, and also those who stay more than 180 days per year in total - they simply don't allow them to enter.
Not entirely true. Sarawak has vastly better criteria for their version of MM2H. You only need either the $25k fixed deposit OR a RM7000 (USD $1725) monthly income. Process takes as little as three months.

Cons:

If you like girly bars, forget it.
Kuching is very, very suburban and there's really not much going on there.
It rains. a LOT. They don't have a dry season and the rainy season is almost three times as wet as PP's.
On the Sarawak MM2H you are not permitted to work (although you can on the peninsular version).
5 year visa, compared to 10 years for peninsular version.

Pros:

You don't have to live in Sarawak! You can actually live in peninsular Malaysia.
You only have to be 50yo, and can get it even younger if you have school aged family(?)

Oh, here's the rain graph:

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

In the YouTube video the comment is made many see these new visa conditions as indirectly saying " they dont want us here anymore".

Surely an introduction of a retirement visa would have sent a very clear message that people who are retired are welcome.

Instead we see a tighter length visa.

I am hearing many retired folk in Vietnam are planning to move elsewhere. The new visa situation starting in July just looks too difficult to navigate. In retirement they are looking for life to be easier and not too complicated.

If you take Vung Tau as an example. Whole areas in the city are focussed on catering for the retired expat community. Any significant exodus of expats will make business in these areas more challenging.

Interesting to see how it plays out.
ElitheBikeGuy
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by ElitheBikeGuy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am I haven't followed the Lao visa situation in quite a while. I thought even with a solid Lao visa, you still had to leave every 30 days. Easy to pop into Udon to go shopping, I suppose, but I always had the impression getting a Lao visa took a lot of effort, cash and an agent.

Here's American YouTuber Eli the Bike Guy from Da Nang who lays out how he sees the 30-day rule being imposed, or selectively imposed. He actually has a pretty good YT channel showing the delights of Da Nang. (I don't know how to embed a YT vid.)
Thanks for posting my video and your kind words!

I got confirmation today from a Vietnam immigration officer of the coming rule change. I’ll be making another video, likely tomorrow, about it and how I think it’s going to affect various groups. I think it’s pretty major and throws a wrench in a lot of people’s plans, whether they’re in Vietnam already, or wanting to come here. It’s a gut-punch for a lot of people.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

paparazzi wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pm In the YouTube video the comment is made many see these new visa conditions as indirectly saying " they dont want us here anymore".

Surely an introduction of a retirement visa would have sent a very clear message that people who are retired are welcome.

Instead we see a tighter length visa.

I am hearing many retired folk in Vietnam are planning to move elsewhere. The new visa situation starting in July just looks too difficult to navigate. In retirement they are looking for life to be easier and not too complicated.

If you take Vung Tau as an example. Whole areas in the city are focussed on catering for the retired expat community. Any significant exodus of expats will make business in these areas more challenging.

Interesting to see how it plays out.
Is there any consensus from what you here to which country they are planning to go to ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Barangjoymrai
Tourist
Bhutan

Post by Barangjoymrai »

VN is a fkg nightmare anyway. Dunno why anyone would wanna retire there. Unless they like constant street hassles and the lovely VN greeting of YOU! YOU!! :oops:
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

The solution to the visa changes will just encourage more people to do what others are doing already over previous years..... Just find some vietmam lady and pay her a few $$ to provide her name and signature on a defacto relationship registration with the Vietmam government. The foreigner can then obtain a 5 year visa exemption that allows stays of up to 6 months. It is then just a border run each 6 months
Visa exemption is cheaper than a one month tourist visa.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

I have been asking around expats thinking of moving from Vietnam as a result of the July 1st visa changes. They pretty much all seem unsure where they are going to go!!!!. Usually give me top of list of Cambodia, Philippines followed by a few saying Malaysia or Thailand.

Quite a few were originally from Sihanoukville and moved mostly to Vung Tau. Nobody said they were giving Sihanoukville another go as a result of the recent Chinese exodus.

Looks like most will head to Cambodia or Philippines.

Of the group l asked if they were leaving about 75% said they were upset by the visa changes and were likely moving. The other 25% were all in serious relationships and said they would try and stick it out.

So the number leaving will by the looks will be significant.

Add to that the number of expats who were planning to live in Vietnam who now will likely change their plans.

The new video coming out from another poster will certainly be appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic