How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by mouytiet »

5 good friends in 7 years.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Too many friends lost in Cambodia. LTO, Henning Wessel, Rain Dog, Tony (owner of Sihanoukville Online forums Charlie Harper's in Sihanoukville), Paul (owner of Living in Cambodia/Living in Cebu forums), Bradford Edwards, Mike (from Sharkies), Eric Widener (neighbor at Murray's Place), KiR, the son of one of the owner's of Loco Bar, Daniel Eigensatz (worked at a few random bars over the years), and those are just off the top of my head, but there have been several more over years.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

General Mackevili wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:20 pm Too many friends lost in Cambodia. LTO, Henning Wessel, Rain Dog, Tony (owner of Sihanoukville Online forums Charlie Harper's in Sihanoukville), Paul (owner of Living in Cambodia/Living in Cebu forums), Bradford Edwards, Mike (from Sharkies), Eric Widener (neighbor at Murray's Place), KiR, the son of one of the owner's of Loco Bar, Daniel Eigensatz (worked at a few random bars over the years), and those are just off the top of my head, but there have been several more over years.
Whatever happened to StroppyChops? He seems to have disappeared without trace...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He posts on Facebook groups.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Lost count but same as LJ (Sihanoukville residency oblige) well north of 100.
I even had to assist local authorities with about half a dozen of them, two of whom somehow standing out in my memories.

First one because I had to shout most of the police officers out of the room as they were ransacking personal effects and destroying potential evidences. Some angry stares only subsiding when the ranking officer finally arrived on site and called them names of his own as they started complaining about me.

Second one, when a traffic officer woke me up at 2am apologizing as the barang victim of a motorbike accident wasn’t from a country I had to deal with but since his chief was in PP he had no camera and would be much grateful if I could come anyway and lend him mine.
The accident wasn’t pretty as it was a no helmet head on impact on the brand new central divider but it was the two pairs of flip flop near the bike that stood out. The second pair was of a woman size that was nowhere be seen. I spent the rest of the night drinking whiskey in the mojo bar wondering if the girl had walk back to the dolphins shack to catch another ride or punter.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 pm Lost count but same as LJ (Sihanoukville residency oblige) well north of 100.
Most of mine are people I knew from Sihanoukville, which seemed to be gods waiting room.

Being involved in bars there from 2003, means I met a lot of people.

Only last week I saw that one old fella I liked and knew from SHV, passed away in Kampot.

I really don't know how people can live in Cambo for a decade and say they only know of a few who have died when I know two in the last 10 days alone.

In one month in 2014 I went to two funerals and a wedding. Owners of ToF were subject of two of them.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 am I can only think of about four in nearly 15 years.
You would have known...

KIR
Henning
Stewie
Bradford

I bet there are others like LTO, Lee and a few more.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not sure who Bradford was to be honest, maybe if I saw a picture of him I'd remember. I don't remember ever meeting LTO in person although we sometimes corresponded.
You're right about Stewie, I had forgotten about him.
I was thinking about it and I'll revise the number.
So there was Lee, an Iranian/American I knew who "fell down the stairs", Stewie, Henning, Chris Watson, KIR and an elderly Nordic woman who had a guesthouse in Rattanakiri, Dennis, and Richard the Vietnam tunnel rat. That's nine, maybe I've forgotten one or two.
I do recall going to a funeral one morning and a wedding that afternoon, that was strange.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I think four friends of mine have died here in 11 years.

A considerable number of mates/acquaintances/ex customers/known to me type folk have passed on as well here. Must be at least 20 that I can remember.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Only 1, due to illness.
Thierry Stocker, a fine lacquer in Siem Reap.
I knew only 10 westerners max in 3 years, so that's 10%, which is pretty high.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic