Transit visa hongkong Cambodian passport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
diesel
Expatriate

Transit visa hongkong Cambodian passport

Post by diesel »

Soon my khmer wife and our family return to Cambodia for a long holiday, we have a 9 hours stopover in Hongkong, does my wife need a visa???? I search on internet, but cant find a clear answer
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Transit visa hongkong Cambodian passport

Post by TWY »

As long as your not entering HK your fine.

That means you need to be flying on one ticket - not planning on landing - claiming luggage and then checking in again. If you have separate tickets into/onwards from HK then you need a transit visa as you'll technically enter HK to get your luggage and could leave the airport.

You land and go to the gate of your onward flight and wait a while for the next flight. In this case no visa.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

The 9 hour layover can be an issue depending on the airline or airlines.
I had a flight from Siem Reap to Shanghai to Seattle to Kansas city in December.
8 hour layover in Shanghai...red eye..I got to Shanghai at 4am...I had no idea I had to enter China..had to get my suitcase..had to secure a 24 hour temporary visa.
I was tired and lost and confused.
Luckily, the Chinese airport people guided me to the proper line..The lady spoke perfect English at 4am.
I mistakenly put my birthday like a USA person would month first...once we cleared that up I was ALLOWED INTO CHINA..i had to go to another terminal..the shuttle was closed...She told me I could walk.
I was this old white guy walking about 400m in an empty corridor with a guard nodding off at each end
I found my way to the terminal...restroom was closed.
No seats...found a seat...it was a very freaky experience.. I got my bording passes 6 hours later and cleared security and a train took me back to the original terminal...whew!!
I had a 13 hour layover at LAX in August. I usually would go through immigration..claim my bags AND THEN GIVE MY BAGS BACK TO THE AIRLINE REP TO PUT ON MY CONNECTION..
I gave my bags to a guy..be scanned them and I had 13 hours to kill...So, I left the airport and got a hotel around the corner...easy for a citizen of the US.
But, when I got to KC the next afternoon my luggage was not on the plane...I live 200km from the airport.
I made a lost bag claim...THE GUY FOR DELTA TOLD ME MY 13 HOUR LAYOVER WAS THE CAUSE AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO HAND THEM BACK....that was news to me...
But, it reminded me of a flight to London with 13 hour layover and on to Lusaka, Zambia in 2004.
My bags did not make the flight..i was in Africa with nothing..had to buy new everything...
10 days later...my bags arrived..I was out in the bush on a camera safari fishing trip..
Good luck...
Might call airline!
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Thanks , but the plan is the visit Hongkong city for 9 hours. Hongkong is easy with.visas and also with layovers, but i cant find info or its Also easy for khmers. Khmers need a visa for holiday, but i can remember a story that khmers can get a stamp, that is valid for 2 days. Same as many other countrys that can visit Hongkong.

Probarly some has deal with this before
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

National Cambodia (KH)
Transit Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)
Destination Cambodia (KH)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Visa required, except for Passengers with a Hong Kong (SAR
China) permanent identity card.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Passengers with a confirmed onward
(Air-to-Air or Air-to-Sea) ticket to a third country within 48

hours. They must stay in the international transit area and

have documents required for the next destination.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National Cambodia (KH)
Destination Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Passport required.
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
valid for a minimum of 1 month beyond the period of intended
stay.
- Documents accepted for entry issued by Hong Kong (SAR
China) must be valid on arrival.
Passport Exemptions:

- Passengers older than 10 years with a Hong Kong (SAR China)
permanent identity card.

- Passengers older than 10 years with a Hong Kong (SAR China)
identity card. The card must have the asterisk or 'R' code.

- Passengers with a Re-entry Permit issued by Hong Kong.
- Passengers with a Visit Permit for Residents of Macao (SAR
China) to Hong Kong (SAR China).

Visa required, except for Passengers with a Hong Kong (SAR
China) permanent identity card.

Warning:
- Passports and other travel documents accepted for entry are
considered valid until the day before the expiration date.

- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

diesel wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:24 am Thanks , but the plan is the visit Hongkong city for 9 hours. Hongkong is easy with.visas and also with layovers, but i cant find info or its Also easy for khmers. Khmers need a visa for holiday, but i can remember a story that khmers can get a stamp, that is valid for 2 days. Same as many other countrys that can visit Hongkong.

Probarly some has deal with this before
---------------

Then you need a visa and you have to apply at the Chinese Embassy. I looked into it a few years ago and decided we'd just stay at the airport - can't remember the exact cost - think $20 or $25 for Cambodian passport holders - but had to go to the embassy to submit and since we don't live in PP it just wasn't worth it and we spent 12 hours in the airport.

I believe you'd actually get a 2 day visa with no problem as long as you have onward flights booked and can provide proof of the tickets with application and its almost definite if she has a visa for whatever country your flying to. Thats what the embassy told me a few years ago.
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Nationals of the following countries must obtain a Transit Visa for Hong Kong, even if they are to remain at the airport transit area.

Afghanistan DR Congo Iraq Sierra Leone
Angola Eritrea Ivory Coast Somalia
Bangladesh Ethiopia Liberia South Sudan
Burundi Gambia Libya Sudan
Cameroon Ghana Nepal Sri Lanka
Central African Republic Guinea Bissau North Korea Togo
Congo Iran Rwanda Yemen
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BR549 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:04 am The 9 hour layover can be an issue depending on the airline or airlines.

Might call airline!
i cleaned up ur reply so it was relevant to the question :beer3:

and agree,call ur airline an make sure you get the persons name you talk to just in case
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic