Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by phuketrichard »

i think everyone is safe
Better chance of walking on water than Cambodia becoming a high tech country where most likely 30% of the population cant read or write their own language
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

For me the big new change happened in about the 90's,
when we started considering ourselves as primarily living in The Economy - not a Society.

These days it seems, the economy has primacy and the expectation is that everything will just fall into place under that.
But it doesn't.

Sure, you might want to work inside Coca Cola Corp (for example) for eight hours a day. Or to have shares in the biz to support your economic well being.
But you don't want to live your whole life inside Coca Cola Corp, or design your life on that model - just because it is super efficient and successful.
And you can be dammed sure your social, natural, emotional, intellectual, recreational, family, etc issues will certainly not be given primacy over the "efficiency" of the biz.
A bit like the modern world today.

But a bit too late to change all that now, the die is cast - except maybe for yourself and your family.
Move out of the Coca Cola factory and smell the roses a bit more. Or out of the big city rat race.
But it's hard to escape the smart phone life these days - you gotta be really dedicated to the sweet scents of life to do that.
(And really fear the factors that Freightdog outlines above ^^^)
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:40 pm we started considering ourselves as primarily living in The Economy - not a Society.
exactly
it's the stupid economy
became 'it's the economy, stupid'

monstra mihi bona!
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Without reliable electricity there will only be no-tech. A vision of a city with electrical or hybrid cars will be a fantasy until this basic is a reality. The cost of electricity is another hamstring.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 pm i think everyone is safe
Better chance of walking on water than Cambodia becoming a high tech country where most likely 30% of the population cant read or write their own language
Is illiteracy really that high? I heard the literacy rate was close to 85% for males and around 75% for females.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

fazur wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:29 pm
Is illiteracy really that high? I heard the literacy rate was close to 85% for males and around 75% for females.
Those figures sound familiar, but as the school attendance rates. (from vague memory)
But maybe they are counted as the same thing. ??

My wife had most of her schooling under the Khmer rouge, and then a couple of years after that - in the countryside with no trained teachers. She still has a pretty high state of literacy, and a working two extra languages. Taken to tech much better than me.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

For adults (above 15 years old) the rate is around 80%. Richard's figure is about 20 years out of date.

https://knoema.com/atlas/Cambodia/topic ... eracy-rate
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:00 pm
For adults (above 15 years old) the rate is around 80%. Richard's figure is about 20 years out of date.

https://knoema.com/atlas/Cambodia/topic ... eracy-rate
ok my bad
20 % for males :beer3:
but for females > 30%
and for over 65 50%

yet how many have more than a basic education above primary school?
How many are living at a poverty level?

Not really conducive to a High tech society
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I really wonder what made @phuketrichard, who loves Thailand, so much so hateful of Cambodia. :dragonchase:

Sorry PR, actually your anti-Cambodia posts do keep a level of awareness going for those at the other end of the spectrum who are perhaps dangerously in love with Cambodia to the point of blindness; keep 'em coming! :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There wasn't a great education system during the wars. Many elderly Americans are barely literate too. :wave:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic