Finding ESL Job 2020

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Danhb
Tourist
New Zealand

Finding ESL Job 2020

Post by Danhb »

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me about finding ESL jobs in Phnom Penn.
I'm looking to move there sometime this year.

A little bit about me,

I'm a Kiwi with lots of teaching experience, however I don't have a degree...but I do have a CELTA.
I also have IH certificates in Teaching Business English and Online Tutoring.
I have 5 years experience teaching in Vietnam at different language schools, including an International school in the past.

I'm currently teaching in NZ, but i really would like to return Asia.

I would appreciate any ideas about the best time to find a job over there.
I'm interested in something long term.

thanks,

Danh
camgolian
Expatriate
Mongolia

Re: Finding ESL Job 2020

Post by camgolian »

Hello,
I have not worked in Phnom Penh but was there in 2018(returning in February) and I did 4 interviews and 2 teaching demos, offered a job at both schools all in the space of about one month from landing.. I ultimately decided I had to return to the U.S. at that time for unrelated reasons so I didnt accept a job. But I have no actual classroom teaching experience and only hold an online TEFL. You are obviously vastly more qualified so trust me I cannot see you having any difficulty whatsoever in acquiring a job. Don't even stress about it. In my opinion you should print out 30? or so(better too many than too few) CV before you go to Cambodia. Many people I talked to waited until in the country which is fine but I would have found it a hassle to go to print shop etc. Other than that just common sense stuff. 'Try' to have about $3000usd when you land. You could make it on less if have too but youll be far less stressed with a little back up. Don't get sidetracked too much by partying(if thats your thing). Work on getting a job and then you can party every weekend there on. Oh* another thing, dont be in absolute hurry to find apartment. Many teachers arrive in PP and get an apartment before getting a job. But if you do that and then get hired at a school that's 45 mins away by tuktuk youre gonna have major buyers remorse..get the job first, then if possible get an apartment close to the school. :beer2:
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Just start networking now via the Internet. Search for "Cambodia teaching jobs", send out your CV., set up some interviews so you've got some leads as soon as you hit the ground. Don't sign.up for anything beforehand though, unless it's a really good offer that you're sure of.

As mentioned by camgolian, work is pretty easy to find. Khmer New Year is in April so there's a long holiday then.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Danhb
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Danhb »

Thanks camgolian and sigmoid for the advice.
Much appreciated to get a 'heads up' on things.

I found the same with Vietnam. It was easier to arrive there and find work very quickly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic