anyone miss candy from their home country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: anyone miss candy from their home country?

Post by cptrelentless »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 pm Bagels from NY suck, though they're admittedly probably better than anything currently in the kingdom.
are you crazy?? no way.. if your saying bagels from NY suck, where can you get bagels that you think are worthy of your taste buds?
Brick Lane, London.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm if your saying bagels from NY suck, where can you get bagels that you think are worthy of your taste buds?
Kraków?
Mishmash wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 pm Cadbury's Flake...... Beats a Bagel anyday..

Usually comes with a lady to.... let you know how your 'stick' will be eaten...

don't even need the chocolate
though if it's on offer . . .

group buys are the obvious way to order this kind of stuff

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I loved this one:

But this was even better:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

This thread was about shelf stable candy.
Not New York pizza and bagels....
Can't duplicate or bring those classics with you.
The original Twinkie was banana flavored...that is why it looks like it does...they switched to a plain va illa like flavor and sales took off.
I have brought Aussie Licorice back from USA for a friend...I brought USA bubblegum for a Russian friend.
I have a kilo of 2 of my favorite candies ready for my suitcase tomorrow.
I just wish my Khmer wife had not grown fond of my Cherry Life savers.....
The Reggie bar...
I was 9 years old in the summer of 1967 when Reggie made his debut for my home team Kansas City Athletics. I would go to the old stadium the A's shared with the Chiefs and watch my team.
In 1968, they moved to Oakland where they began winning World Series'.
Reggie ended up in New York and became a folk hero and the Reggie Bar was born.
But, Why would they name a candy bar after a baseball player?
Answer. The Bambino..George Herman Ruth..THE BABE....and my favorite candy bar as a kid the Baby Ruth...which debuted in 1921...the year Ruth hit 59 homers for the Yanks....the company that made the bar did not want to pay Ruth so they claimed they named it after a former President's kid.
Nestle owns it now and it is the official candy bar of Major League baseball
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Every year my mother brings me 6 bars of Mint Aero and a big bag of Bassets Liquorice Allsorts... sometimes Maltesers too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BR549 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:15 pm This thread was about shelf stable candy.
Not New York pizza and bagels....
Can't duplicate or bring those classics with you.
The original Twinkie was banana flavored...that is why it looks like it does...they switched to a plain va illa like flavor and sales took off.
I have brought Aussie Licorice back from USA for a friend...I brought USA bubblegum for a Russian friend.
I have a kilo of 2 of my favorite candies ready for my suitcase tomorrow.
I just wish my Khmer wife had not grown fond of my Cherry Life savers.....
The Reggie bar...
I was 9 years old in the summer of 1967 when Reggie made his debut for my home team Kansas City Athletics. I would go to the old stadium the A's shared with the Chiefs and watch my team.
In 1968, they moved to Oakland where they began winning World Series'.
Reggie ended up in New York and became a folk hero and the Reggie Bar was born.
But, Why would they name a candy bar after a baseball player?
Answer. The Bambino..George Herman Ruth..THE BABE....and my favorite candy bar as a kid the Baby Ruth...which debuted in 1921...the year Ruth hit 59 homers for the Yanks....the company that made the bar did not want to pay Ruth so they claimed they named it after a former President's kid.
Nestle owns it now and it is the official candy bar of Major League baseball
A Twinkie is an American snack cake, described as "golden sponge cake with a creamy filling". It was formerly made and distributed by Hostess Brands. The brand is currently owned by Hostess Brands, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWNK), having been formerly owned by private equity firms Apollo Global Management and C. Dean Metropoulos and Company as the second incarnation of Hostess Brands. During bankruptcy proceedings, Twinkie production was suspended on November 21, 2012, and resumed after an absence of at least ten months from American store shelves, becoming available again nationwide on July 15, 2013.

Saputo Incorporated's Vachon Inc., which owns the Canadian rights to the product and made them during their absence from the U.S. market,[3] produces Twinkies in Canada at a bakery in Montreal. Twinkies are also available in Mexican stores as "Submarinos" and "Twinkies" made by Marinela, and as "Tuinky" made by Wonder; both Marinela and Wonder are subsidiaries of Mexican bread company Grupo Bimbo.[4][5] In Egypt, Twinkies are produced under the company Edita. Twinkies are also available in the United Kingdom and Ireland under the Hostess brand name where they are sold in Sainsburys, Tesco, ASDA and B&M stores. Twinkies are produced and distributed by multiple commercial bakeries in China,[6] where Hostess does not own the brand

When i used to return to the stats back in the early 2000, i'd always buy a box ( 10 ) of twnkies, after a week trip i'd still have 3-4 left.
there great after a few years of not having them but than....prefer snow balls or those little pies i used to get in my lunch bag for school.

As to Bagels,
NOTHING compares to a fresh one from a New York Jewish deli!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic