Chinese New Year Holiday

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
perter
Tourist
Aruba

Chinese New Year Holiday

Post by perter »

Hi Friends
I am new here in cambodia, can u sugeset what i can d during chinese new year? in PP
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Chinese New Year Holiday

Post by Ghostwriter »

Hi Perter !
You could spend your holidays browsing this website's archives and find many useful answers ?

Just an idea
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yeah, have a look at the 'Similar Topics' under this post and there might be some ideas there..
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Get drunk, sleep with ladyboy, lose wallet and phone.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

So in short, get smart or get fucked.
So many roads leads to those 2 at the end of the day !
Good luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I've been in PP a couple of times over Chinese NY and there was lion-dancing and stuff going on around riverside. People getting their businesses blessed and burning (fake) money in the street and letting off fire crackers. Everything gets cleaned up for the NY, so it can be good fun to just wander around and see what's happening. You can hear the lion dancers from blocks away, so head for the drums. :banana:
Keep an eye on your wallet and phone.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

perter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 pm Hi Friends
I am new here in cambodia, can u sugeset what i can d during chinese new year? in PP
Actually, Lunar New Year is more like Thanksgiving/Xmas than International New Year or Thai/Lao/Khmer/Burmese New Year.

Basically, people return to their hometowns, spend time with family, do domestic stuff, eat specifuc types of food, etc. rather than publically celebrate.

Other than the aforementioned dragons and drums and maybe some Chinese opera or singing contest, I don't think much happens.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm
Other than the aforementioned dragons and drums and maybe some Chinese opera or singing contest, I don't think much happens.
I'd agree, unless you are going to spend time in a local family's house it's not really something a casual visitor will get involved in. In my experience it just seems like they put a whole lot of food out on mats or tables. Suckling pigs, noodles, orange-colored soda cans and other orange/yellow stuff like flowers or fruit or bushes. Incense and big new red/gold stickers on the doorway. Beer in gold cans which is not good. Then there is some feasting and drinking. Just like any day really. :D
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm So in short, get smart or get fucked.
So many roads leads to those 2 at the end of the day !
Good luck.
So if he got smart and fucked at the same time, in a 10,000 riel massage joint, we'd award him the CEO gold badge of...
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Yerg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 am
So if he got smart and fucked at the same time, in a 10,000 riel massage joint, we'd award him the CEO gold badge of...
Smart people don't go to 2.5$ massage joints. They can afford better because they're smart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic