How about a Vietnam sub-forum?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: How about a Vietnam sub-forum?

Post by Anchor Moy »

If I remember right there was a Vietnam thread created on GC specifically for news and Vietnam discussion, but nobody used it so it got buried.
Why not turn the Thailand forum into a SEA neighbour forum and we'll see what comes up ?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

If you've "had enough of the immigration hassles" how is Vietnam a solution? Can only get a 12 month visa if you're American these days AFAIK.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:23 pm If you've "had enough of the immigration hassles" how is Vietnam a solution? Can only get a 12 month visa if you're American these days AFAIK.
1. No asinine 90-day reports. (Online version works intermittently, as many have reported.)
2. No physical visits to IM offices for TM30 filings every time you leave Thailand and return.
3. No paying the landlord's fine for not reporting the foreigner as a resident.
4. No arrival/departure cards, which mean absolutely nothing to your arrival notices and you still have to file TM30
5. No certificate of residence needed from immigration at exorbitant fee of 300 baht to buy motorcycle or renew licence.
6. No embassy multiple trips to get countless expensive notarizations of this, that and the other form required by immigration.
7. No authorization stamp by embassy affixed to old passport to show immigration my new passport is related to the old one.
8. No going to the police station to report loss of departure card.
9. No worries about different interpretation of rules by different immigration districts or even different immigration officers in the same f*ckin office.

OK, is that enough?

And yes, long-term VN visas have been getting hard to get. But I often travel so no biggie.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I never said Thailand wasn't a shitty police state. You could always come back to Cambodia.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I revisited Vung Tau, VN, before Christmas and I was overcome with relief and relaxation, unlike I've felt in a long time. However, I've been giving Siem Reap some thought. Got a few months to decide. The ease of a long visa is a big plus in Cambodia.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 am PS: I'm very likely to be moving back to VN in the spring. I've had enough of the immigration hassles, super high prices and world class air pollution.
I am not sure why you are expecting Vietnam to be some expat utopia because it isn't. Visas are a pain in the arse, prices have shot up, tourist numbers are huge and pollution....um....have you been to Saigon?

Good luck.
While only about 50% (or less) huge than Thailand, yes VN's tourists number are up. However, as mentioned in the article below:
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/pla ... 34336.html

"The number of foreign tourists visiting Vietnam reached an all-time high of 18 million in 2019, up 16.2 percent year-on-year.
The growth was driven mainly by Asian tourists, with 14.3 million people from the continent touching down in 2019, up 19 percent.

China = 5.8 million
South Korea = 4.3 million
Japan = 952,000
Taiwan = 926,000

"Thailand topped in terms of growth,with a 45.9 percent rise taking the number to 509,000."

Only 3.7 mil non-Asians (20.5%) indicates something...

In terms of expats, the main attractions are the low cost of living, relative feeling of safety, and an abundant number of coastal cities and single mums to choose from. As a result, more and more geezers are heading to Vietnam for retirement.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I live in Vung Tau and would like to see a Vietnam sub-forum.
You could be next.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:04 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 am PS: I'm very likely to be moving back to VN in the spring. I've had enough of the immigration hassles, super high prices and world class air pollution.
I am not sure why you are expecting Vietnam to be some expat utopia because it isn't. Visas are a pain in the arse, prices have shot up, tourist numbers are huge and pollution....um....have you been to Saigon?

Good luck.
I know all about it. Have lived in VN a total of more than 3 years. Saigon? Hanoi? Never.
Here's why, on a daily basis. AQI in Saigon now 157, Hanoi 197. And here in Bangkok 151. Every morning I open my curtains to a cloak of dirty grey air. Not what you call an encouragement to get out and about.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ha Noi, on many days, is the most polluted city in the world..... One can only imagine the long-term impact this will have on the health of the population.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I vote no, I only have interest in Cambodia and Thailand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic