Can Bloggers be taken as "real" news

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Can Bloggers be taken as "real" news

Post by Mishmash »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 am
The main stream media..cnn.bbc.msnbc..on and on are complete fake bullshit untrustworthy propaganda machines. The new york times has a long history of this...along with news agencies for generations.
You can't believe jack shit you see or hear these days.
most of the US MSM News is anti-western bullshit. Or PC propaganda destroying the nuclear family unit. The BBC is not far behind.
OK; you all have established where you dont get ur news
so where do you get it? Word of mouth? CEO?

I use BBC, Aljazera, RT News, Asia news, Washington post, (Cnn, Fox are so slanted its comical)
Follow a few bloggers for asian news + the irrawaddy, Bangkok Post, Thai visa, Thaiger and my local phuket news

ALL taken with a grain of salt
I start with the establishment MSM of each country, go to the local rags, and through the conspiracy sites to get the gist of it. After that, start to use google to track down anything obscure.

If I see a pair of tits I will probably get distracted for a while.

I will follow up things that have a bearing on my life, but also take an interest in war, politics, science, space, technology, history, multi-national corporations, quantum mechanics, construction etc.

Since a small boy I tend to read widely, books, films, documentaries anything I can get my hands on.

In real-life I like nature, outside, shooting, beer, marijuana, sex, my family, heavy metal, trance, dance etc.

I dislike crowds and popular events.

:thumb:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:42 am ...BBC, Aljazera are all for profit, ...
The BBC is not 'for profit'. It's paid for in the UK by a TV licence - everyone who owns a TV in the UK has to pay (I think it's about 150GBP which is about 200USD) per year which funds the BBC. (The legalities of it can be a bit more complicated than that but this isn't a thread about the UK TV licence)

BBC Worldwide, which is the version of the BBC everyone else in the world see's, is funded through advertising but any profits made are directly put back into the corporation. It isn't a private company, it has no shareholders, it makes no profit. (officially anyway)

That's partly why, in many worldwide surveys, they often come out top in terms of trustworthiness and unbiased reporting. Their code of conduct means they aren't allowed to be biased or report on stories with an agenda.

Whether they always follow that code of conduct or not is always being debated in the UK, but the BBC is a 'not-for-profit' organisation.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

There seems to be a general assumption among the humans that "reality" is actually "real", when in fact, the concept of "real" vs "unreal" is merely (as usual) a false dichotomy.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Bloggers add an extra facet to the public perspective. So while they often have an agenda to push or a brand to promote, their perspective can, on occasion, shed light on a neglected angle that makes the real story a bit more approachable.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Depends on the blogger, just as it does with any journalist, or writer of any sort. So yes, they can, but not often, I'd say.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic